NH stats: 60,000 in state hunt for deer
"It is very much part of New Hampshire culture. We are still oriented to the outdoors and value that connection to the natural world," state Fish and Game Department spokesman Jane Vachon said.
Hunters will find a healthy deer herd this year with an estimated 85,000 white-tail deer in the state, Vachon said.
"The increase at this point in the season is likely the result of the mild winter in 2012-2013 and favorable hunting conditions," Fish and Game Deer Project Leader Dan Bergeron said.
Wildlife experts urge hunters and outdoor enthusiasts to wear a piece of blaze orange apparel when they head outdoors during hunting season. A fluorescent hat, vest or jacket are highly visible and are proven to decrease hunting incidents, they said.
Motorists should watch out for deer crossing roads — particularly at dawn and dusk — with deer mating season underway, state conservation officials advise.
Deer are creatures of habit; if you've seen them cross the road at a certain spot, slow down and use caution driving in that area, officials say. If you see one deer, watch out for others.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Inaugural 'Mushtoberfest' a howling success at Jericho Mountain State Park - 0
- NH Senior News: Maple Suites in Dover hosting free seminar to look at cost of dementia care - 0
- Woman donates cleaning services to cancer patients - 0
- Keene 'Dump Derby' participants pick up 20,000 pumpkins - 0
- Taking pride in their recovery - 0
- Route 101 In Auburn Renamed For 101st Airborne 'Screaming Eagles' - 0
- Worth keeping all these years later: A Churchill cigar (yes, that Churchill) - 0
- Keene Pumpkin Festival brings out big admission from Boston mascot - 0
- John Harrigan: A sad dog story, borders and Ebola - 0
Keene Pumpkin Festival has uncertain future
Fall hikers throughout NH put on notice
NH's back-road rest areas fading away
Enter to win tickets to see Ani DiFranco
Shaheen, in Hooksett, rallies with union
Monitoring social media
After riots, soul-searching begins
On Obamacare: Shaheen doesn't get it