Home » Sports » Hockey » Bruins/NHL
Different uniform, same result: Vanek lifts Islanders over Bruins, 3-1
Isles' Captain John Tavares tallied for the second straight night and defenseman Andrew MacDonald netted his first goal of the campaign.
Kyle Okposo and blue-liner Travis Hamonic each notched two assists and Kevin Poulin finished with 26 saves for the Islanders, who snapped a four-game winless skid at home (0-3-1).
After skating to a 5-4 shootout victory over Ottawa on Friday, New York opened the scoring 6:15 into the second period as Vanek slapped the puck off the stick of David Krejci in the slot.
Chad Johnson (31 saves) made the initial stop, but Tavares batted the rebound out of the air and into the net for his sixth goal.
Tavares also played a role in the Islanders' next goal nearly seven minutes later after winning a faceoff. MacDonald one-timed a shot from just inside the blue line that floated over the glove of Johnson to give the Islanders a 2-0 lead.
Defenseman Dougie Hamilton scored a power-play goal to trim the deficit with 4:33 remaining in the second, but Vanek answered just 41 ticks later. Okposo skated up the right wing before deftly sliding a cross-slot feed to the Austrian, who one-timed a shot from the left circle past Johnson for his fifth goal of the season.
- - - - - -
GAME NOTEBOOK: Vanek has torched the Bruins in his career, collecting 30 goals and 29 assists in 51 games. ... The Islanders failed on all three power-play opportunities and are 0-for-13 in their last four contests. ... The Bruins have dropped three of their last four contests.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Bedford wrestlers top Goffstown - 0
- Central builds early lead, beats Pinkerton - 0
- Pinkerton, Memorial deadlock - 0
- Concord's Law is Athlete of the Month - 0
- Indoor track results - 0
- Central-Trinity: It's time - 2
- Trinity, BG skaters open with victories - 0
- Central vs. Trinity: 'competition, not warfare' - 5
- NHIAA preview: Boys' ice hockey races appear to be wide open - 0
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Hollis school officials call police on Santa Claus - 0
- Rusty water in Manchester caused by water main break in Bedford - 0
- Forecasters eye possible weekend ice storm - 0
- Abigail's mother issues plea for Christmas return - 1
- Fugitive caught hiding under bed in Jaffrey - 0
- Target says data security breach may affect 40 million cards - 0
- Nashua man held in home invasion - 0
- Fugitive of the week: James Porter - 0
- Quick thinking closes the door on Somersworth fire - 0
Snow could reschedule Super Bowl
1 dead following Route 101 crash in Milford
City man charged with endangering child
Hooksett confident contract to send students to Pinkerton doesn't violate Manchester settlement