(a) Those letters are irrefutable evidence that Obama's repeated you-keep-your-coverage claim was false. Why were they sent out? Because Obamacare renders illegal (with exceedingly narrow "grandfathered" exceptions) the continuation of any insurance plan deemed by Washington regulators not to meet their arbitrary standards for adequacy. Example: No maternity care? You are terminated.
Still, how could he imagine getting away with a claim sure to be exposed as factually false?
And he did. Simple formula: Delay, stonewall and wait for a supine and protective press to turn spectacularly incurious.
Because what you really need is what our experts have determined must be in every plan. So a couple in their 60s must buy maternity care. A teetotaler must buy substance abuse treatment. And a healthy 28-year-old with perfectly appropriate catastrophic insurance must pay for bells and whistles for which he has no use.
(c) As for subterfuge, these required bells and whistles aren't just there to festoon the health care Christmas tree with voter-pleasing freebies. The planners knew all along that if you force insurance buyers to overpay for stuff they don't need, that money can subsidize other people.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- John Stossel: Be thankful for American property rights - 0
- Your Turn, NH -- Mike Moffett: Republicans can win in 2016 with Kasich at the top of the ticket - 7
- Charles Arlinghaus: 'Tis the season for budget games and gimmicks - 0
- Thomas Sowell: The 'experts' look down on you - 2
- Kathy Sullivan: We need to rethink some of our county government positions - 13
- David Harsanyi: The two-state solution is dead - 2
- Pat Buchanan: A rogue President remakes America - 2
- Another View -- Max Boot: Six steps to a better strategy for defeating ISIS - 1
- Jonah Goldberg: Wait, when did we finish talking about Gruber? - 5
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Heavy, wet snow causes extended outages for Unitil customers - 0
- Osgood Road closed in Milford, 33% without power - 0
- PSNH says storm ranks as 4th largest for peak outage - 0
- Henniker police shoot suspect in truck heist - 0
- More than 200,000 New Hampshire customers without power - 1
- Thanksgiving travel a nightmare as storm dumps heavy, wet snow - 3
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Pats put selves in strong position - 0
- Manchester Turkey Bowl will go as scheduled - 0
- Red Sox think they got free agent signings right this time - 0
Person found dead in Manchester alley
On being American: A point for reflection
Your Turn, NH -- Mike Moffett: Republicans can win in 2016 with Kasich at the top of the ticket