Home » News » Public Safety
Man seriously hurt when struck by car while attempting to cross Route 125
The accident happened around 7 p.m. near the entrance to McDonald’s.
Police said a preliminary investigation showed the man, identified as Robert Whiteside, 36, whose last known address was in Nashua, was crossing the four-lane highway when he was struck by a vehicle traveling northbound.
Witnesses at the scene said that Whiteside was seen walking around the McDonald's parking lot with a boy and was stumbling around before the accident.
Officer Jonathan Swift said alcohol is believed to have been a contributing factor.
After spending a short time in the parking lot, Whiteside and the boy walked toward the McDonald’s entrance and then out onto the busy highway.
Swift said Whiteside was attempting to cross the highway to reach a vehicle he had been traveling in that broke down. Swift said police are investigating whether Whiteside had operated the vehicle.
Whiteside was struck in the middle of the highway by a vehicle driven by David Spingarn, 60, of Saratoga Springs, N.Y.
Spingarn was not injured and immediately stopped to render aid, Swift said.
The boy also was not hurt. Several passersby rushed over to assist Whiteside until police and Epping rescue personnel arrived.
Swift said Whiteside suffered serious but non-life-threatening injuries and was transported to Elliot Hospital in Manchester by Epping Ambulance. His condition wasn’t known Saturday night.
The accident remains under investigation.
Anyone who witnessed the accident is asked to call the Epping Police Department at 679-5122.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Police ready to make a wardrobe change - 0
- Man, 41, dies after his car hits utility pole by Nashua library - 0
- Derry fire displaces five - 0
- Two fall about 50 feet from Crotched Mountain ski lift - 1
- Three-alarm fire levels Loudon garage - 0
- Man, 41, dies when car hits pole in front of Nashua Library - 0
- Windsor man seriously injured in Bennington crash with logging truck - 0
- Hollis teen mourned after fatal crash on turnpike - 1
- AG reports progress in search for Hernandez; defends not releasing sensitive information - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Sports Briefs: Broncos’ Welker to miss tonight’s game - 0
- Doc has his night in Boston - 0
- Airlines, weapon makers were the best for shareholders in 2013 - 0
- FDA unveils plan to rein in antibiotics on farms - 0
- Outlet malls: Not what they used to be - 0
- Calif. outlaws ‘revenge porn' - 0
- Kuster launches 'Holiday Cards for Heroes' - 0
- Minor bus accident in Derry blamed on icy roads - 0
- Mega Millions jackpot expected to reach $400m - 0
'From Bimah to Broadway' in Queen City
Where is Benghazi? Kuster's refusal to stand
Shea-Porter: GOP ad about ACA in NH is false
Driver was trying to kill himself
NH reps eyeing budget deal
- Would you support spending local tax dollars to buy your police department a $250K armored vehicle?
- Total Votes: 1072