Home » News » Public Safety
Man seriously hurt when struck by car while attempting to cross Route 125
Rescue personnel attend to a man who was struck by a car while attempting to cross Route 125 in Epping on Saturday night. (JASON SCHREIBER)
The accident happened around 7 p.m. near the entrance to McDonald’s.
Police said a preliminary investigation showed the man, identified as Robert Whiteside, 36, whose last known address was in Nashua, was crossing the four-lane highway when he was struck by a vehicle traveling northbound.
Witnesses at the scene said that Whiteside was seen walking around the McDonald's parking lot with a boy and was stumbling around before the accident.
Officer Jonathan Swift said alcohol is believed to have been a contributing factor.
After spending a short time in the parking lot, Whiteside and the boy walked toward the McDonald’s entrance and then out onto the busy highway.
Swift said Whiteside was attempting to cross the highway to reach a vehicle he had been traveling in that broke down. Swift said police are investigating whether Whiteside had operated the vehicle.
Whiteside was struck in the middle of the highway by a vehicle driven by David Spingarn, 60, of Saratoga Springs, N.Y.
Spingarn was not injured and immediately stopped to render aid, Swift said.
The boy also was not hurt. Several passersby rushed over to assist Whiteside until police and Epping rescue personnel arrived.
Swift said Whiteside suffered serious but non-life-threatening injuries and was transported to Elliot Hospital in Manchester by Epping Ambulance. His condition wasn’t known Saturday night.
The accident remains under investigation.
Anyone who witnessed the accident is asked to call the Epping Police Department at 679-5122.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Five hikers rescued in separate incidents Saturday - 0
- Powerboat hits canoe on Winnipesaukee - 3
- Police search for driver in Hollis hit-and-run - 1
- Canoe, powerboat collide on Lake Winnipesaukee - 0
- Brothers escape being hit by circling boat - 1
- Cornish truck driver charged in fatal Merrimack crash - 2
- Truck flips on I-93 at Exit 4 on-ramp in Londonderry - 0
- Salem family ldisplaced by house fire - 0
- Mother says Abigail in 'deteriorated' health - 17
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Jailed man faces new charge for allegedly contacting witness - 0
- Abby says it's incredible to be home; mom tells TODAY daughter did not run away - 3
- Nashua man arrested in Brookline stabbing - 0
- Cumberland Farms robbed; third store hit this month in Rochester - 0
- E-cigarettes find a market in NH - 0
- Real estate transfer tax proposal pulled off table - 0
- Protesting information: Picket sign o' the times - 1
- Another View -- Mike Biundo: Where is Shaheen's gas price outrage now? - 4
- Seabrook's message: No one above the law here - 1
Protesting workers nix Market Basket amnesty
Win tickets to see Cher's D2K Tour
Gorham man arrested for kidnapping Abigail
LNG plant put 'on hold'
E-cigarettes find a market in NH