Home » News » Public Safety
Man seriously hurt when struck by car while attempting to cross Route 125
The accident happened around 7 p.m. near the entrance to McDonald’s.
Police said a preliminary investigation showed the man, identified as Robert Whiteside, 36, whose last known address was in Nashua, was crossing the four-lane highway when he was struck by a vehicle traveling northbound.
Witnesses at the scene said that Whiteside was seen walking around the McDonald's parking lot with a boy and was stumbling around before the accident.
Officer Jonathan Swift said alcohol is believed to have been a contributing factor.
After spending a short time in the parking lot, Whiteside and the boy walked toward the McDonald’s entrance and then out onto the busy highway.
Swift said Whiteside was attempting to cross the highway to reach a vehicle he had been traveling in that broke down. Swift said police are investigating whether Whiteside had operated the vehicle.
Whiteside was struck in the middle of the highway by a vehicle driven by David Spingarn, 60, of Saratoga Springs, N.Y.
Spingarn was not injured and immediately stopped to render aid, Swift said.
The boy also was not hurt. Several passersby rushed over to assist Whiteside until police and Epping rescue personnel arrived.
Swift said Whiteside suffered serious but non-life-threatening injuries and was transported to Elliot Hospital in Manchester by Epping Ambulance. His condition wasn’t known Saturday night.
The accident remains under investigation.
Anyone who witnessed the accident is asked to call the Epping Police Department at 679-5122.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- ‘Coffee with a Cop’ promotes police, community relations - 0
- Merrimack fire quickly doused - 0
- UPDATED: One seriously hurt, 12 homeless after early morning Manchester fire - 0
- Snowmobiler injured while riding on Thornton golf course - 1
- Dartmouth under fire for response to incidents of rape on campus - 1
- NH hospital personnel to train for disasters - 0
- Snowmobiler dies; 4th fatality of season - 0
- Driver seriously injured in Londonderry wreck - 0
- Dover snowmobiler dies in Barnstead crash - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Manchester police search for bank robber - 0
- Police investigating possible stabbing of man, 22, on Lake Avenue - 0
- As city health costs soar, ‘wellness’ post pushed in Manchester - 8
- Katie McQuaid's Scene in Manchester: Parents share what 'CJ' taught them - 0
- Gilford High junior surprised by Francis Wayland Parker honor - 0
- Police bill disputed by Stewartstown and Colebrook ends up in court - 0
- Arts-based charter high school in Derry begins accepting applications - 0
- Troy voters accept community center donation - 0
- Voters support Bow School District articles - 0
License revocations for DWI announced
Police at scene of Center Ossipee shooting
New to Nottingham, fire victims plan to stay
Litchfield man found stabbed
Scott Brown's latest step stirs the pot
Hooksett's choices: Leave them to parents