Home » News » Public Safety
Man who fell 25 feet at dam in Pittsfield found 7 hours later
Acting Fire Chief Nicholas Abell said the man, a resident of Barnstead believed to be in his mid-30s, told first responders he was taking a picture at the dam when he dropped his phone about 8 p.m.
"Some neighbors finally at 3 a.m. heard his cries for help and went down to investigate," Abell said. "They found him at the bottom."
The Pittsfield rescuers called for help from Concord's fire department, which has the right training and equipment to do a "high-angle rescue," he said. Rescuers hooked up ropes to the bucket of a ladder truck and lowered a firefighter and Stokes basket to where the injured man lay.
Abell said the man was lucky someone heard his cries for help and went looking. "He was in a bad spot. If nobody heard him, he'd probably still be there," he said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Investigators release sketch of man who may have driven Abigail away - 2
- Supporters ask for patience in Abby Hernandez case while authorities sort it all out - 10
- Package found at Manchester federal building was harmless - 0
- Tractor-trailer carrying glass rolls over at I-93-Route 101 interchange in Manchester - 0
- Contact lost with Air Algerie plane carrying 116 people from Burkina Faso - 0
- New Ipswich man dies in motorcycle, truck collision - 0
- Two hurt in crash on Everett Turnpike involving tractor-trailer - 0
- Lightning likely cause of Manchester apartment building fire - 0
- Motorcyclist seriously injured in Jaffrey crash - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Another View -- Jayne Millerick: Dems scaring women by misleading them on contraception - 2
- Basket case: Saga of a supermarket - 4
- Patriots Notebook: Ongoing renovations in Foxborough - 0
- Three years later, investigation continues into homicide of Celina Cass - 0
- Nashua celebration in the works for Medal of Honor recipient - 0
- Fisher Cats down Senators in road trip opener - 0
- No water for Manchester sewer bill scofflaws? - 3
- New Boston mulch processing plant plans under review - 0
- Manchester Crimewatch: Defense attorney seeks home confinement for drug addict - 0
Workers pulling for ex-Market Basket CEO's buyout bid; rally planned Friday before board meeting
Market Basket walkout a future case study
UPDATED: Thousands of Market Basket employees rally; company board issues statement on purchase offer, reaffirms support for new CEOs
Basket case: Saga of a supermarket
Mother says Abigail in 'deteriorated' health