Home » News » Public Safety
Man who fell 25 feet at dam in Pittsfield found 7 hours later
Acting Fire Chief Nicholas Abell said the man, a resident of Barnstead believed to be in his mid-30s, told first responders he was taking a picture at the dam when he dropped his phone about 8 p.m.
"Some neighbors finally at 3 a.m. heard his cries for help and went down to investigate," Abell said. "They found him at the bottom."
The Pittsfield rescuers called for help from Concord's fire department, which has the right training and equipment to do a "high-angle rescue," he said. Rescuers hooked up ropes to the bucket of a ladder truck and lowered a firefighter and Stokes basket to where the injured man lay.
Abell said the man was lucky someone heard his cries for help and went looking. "He was in a bad spot. If nobody heard him, he'd probably still be there," he said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Girl, grandmother escape fire in Rochester home with no detectors - 0
- Motorcyclist in serious condition after crash in Rochester - 0
- Manchester police officers to be honored for work in unresolved West Side stabbing death - 4
- Authorities say smoking ignited oxygen in Derry apartment building fire - 1
- Motorcyclist flown to Maine hospital following crash on Route 125 - 0
- Londonderry police to open station to residents - 0
- Affair, threats alleged in Weare police chief investigation - 11
- Cause of 3-alarm Derry fire remains under investigation - 0
- Claremont police warn public about suspicious soda bottles - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Scots spurn independence, vote to stay in the United Kingdom - 1
- Roger Brown's First and 10: Answers forthcoming - 0
- NHMS chief Gappens is on board with the Chase changes - 0
- Another View -- Ben Rose: How NH's John Stark helped defeat the British at Saratoga - 1
- Celebrating Claremont: A 250th birthday party - 0
- Trashed lunches: Brownies, broccoli and bucks - 7
- Hampstead's Suess ready for Whelen Modified race - 0
- College Football: Big Green kick off season vs. Cent. Connecticut - 0
- Son says shooting of mom during DEA raid was a mistake - 17
Supporters eager for Hillary's return to NH
Mark Hayward's City Matters: Dean Kamen is a genius inventor, and he's pretty good at oratory, too
Casino gambles: Hopes dashed all over
Ayotte pushes bill to combat 'spice'