Pakistani Taliban chief killed in drone strike, possibly scuttling peace talks
In Washington, two U.S. officials confirmed Mehsud's death in a CIA drone strike. They spoke on condition of anonymity.
The death will likely scuttle the immediate prospect of peace talks between the Taliban and the new government of Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif, who won a landslide election victory in May by promising to bring peace to Pakistan.
The nuclear-armed nation of 180 million people has been plagued by militant violence, including the homegrown Taliban insurgency that has cost tens of thousands of lives.
On Friday, several intelligence, army and Taliban sources across Pakistan said Mehsud, believed to be in his mid-30s, had been killed in the drone strike in North Waziristan. Four security officials confirmed his death to Reuters. His bodyguard and driver were also killed, they said.
Mehsud had been attending a gathering of 25 Taliban leaders to discuss the government's offer of talks, they said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Rivier University in Nashua aims to transform campus with $4 million plan - 0
- Move to Concord eyed for offices of university system - 5
- Nashua in running for education grant - 0
- Teacher cuts proposed in Londonderry - 22
- Derry school district expects 2014-15 25-student enrollment increase - 0
- Derry teacher who brings science to life a national award finalist - 0
- Londonderry sophomore has a passion for the past - 0
- Students take part in seminar on privacy at Nashua North - 0
- Londonderry kids learn while doing on Toga Tuesday - 0
READER COMMENTS: 7
- UPDATE: Portsmouth woman, 60, identified after her body is found in creek - 1
- N.Y. man charged with reckless conduct after accidental shooting in Nashua - 1
- Cases against Keene 'Robin Hooders' dismissed by judge - 7
- Task force arrests man in Nottingham for Candia burglary - 1
- Police: Salem man used car keys to stab officer in hand - 1
- Manchester muffler shop burglarized - 0
- Boy, 12, struck in Newton remains hospitalized - 0
- State revenue under projections for November - 1
- Armed man arrested after Manchester convenience store robbery - 0
UPDATE: Could be 'months' before deciding on charges in crash involving Dover city councilor
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Bob Smith ready to hire campaign manager for his 2014 US Senate run
Push to block casino in NH ramping up
- Has your impression of President Obama's leadership changed as a result of his handling of the Syrian crisis?
- More Positive
- More Negative
- Total Votes: 1661