Utility says it would bury power lines for project in Vermont
But critics said TDI New England's proposal not only disproves that claim, but could place Northern Pass out of the bidding since New England Clean Power Link would provide comparable energy to the New England market — without the community and political opposition Northern Pass has engendered.
"Northern Pass stands alone as the only project in New England that requires no customer subsidy and will bring clean, low-cost hydro power along with direct and substantial economic benefits to New Hampshire," he said.
Conservation Law Foundation staff attorney Christophe Courchesne said TDI New England's proposal "dispels many of the misleading arguments Northern Pass has made for avoiding taking the project underground that would make it much more acceptable to communities."
Gov. Hassan, who has criticized Northern Pass for discounting innovative technologies in favor of old transmission methods that could harm the state, believes the state must address long-term energy needs in ways that protect the state and region's scenic beauty and tourism-driven economy, her spokesman said.
READER COMMENTS: 14
- Berlin BioPower plant coming up to speed - 18
- Alexandria support for wind farm not strong, officials say - 3
- Third wind farm company withdraws leases for Newfound-area project - 8
- NH officials again request options for Northern Pass path - 23
- Legislator calls for closing of Groton wind farm - 16
- PUC report says PSNH should sell its plants and the public should pay - 20
- Report on PSNH power plants heartens utility's competitors - 0
- NH high court to hear arguments on valuation of crude oil pipeline - 0
- More calls made to learn about past winter's energy price spike - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Deadline extended for startup competition in Rochester - 0
- Parents speak out against Jewett Street School proposal - 0
- Citizens Bank offers good citizen scholarships - 0
- Rochester man arrested following crash in Somersworth Monday night - 0
- A Derry man pleads innocent to falsely claiming a master electrician license - 0
- Stocks end higher as blue chips rally - 0
- NH jobless rate dips to 4.5 percent - 0
- Justice returns to North Country alma mater to speak to students - 0
- New program recognizes Colebrook students for volunteering - 0
Authorities detonate suspicious package left near Boston Marathon finish line on one-year anniversary of bombing
Flooding shuts down North Country highways
Rep. Shea-Porter honored for efforts to aid in health care by National Association of Community Health Centers