For a day, Londonderry's North School takes on an Egyptian feel
For the past month or so, students in Liz Anderson’s classroom have been absorbed in all things Egyptian, such as mummy making and writing their names in hieroglyphics. Earlier this week, they even got to travel to Boston’s Museum of Fine Arts to check out some authentic Egyptian artifacts.
Sure, the “golden” cups and plates were actually made of plastic, but with a little imagination the students found themselves among pharaohs and mummies.
O’Connell said she chose to decorate her jar with a clay-sculpted jackal, which in Egyptian times represented Anubis, the dog-headed god of the afterlife.
Maple syrup took the place of the traditional honey once used to sweeten ancient palates. Anderson explained that the pita bread the kids eagerly munched on was similar to the flat bread Egyptians used to bake in their clay beehive ovens.
“If we were really at a party in ancient Egypt, these folks would be your servants,” she told the students, flipping her Cleopatra wig out of her eyes. “This is how the rich people once lived.”
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Three named to Manchester school posts - 0
- Derry Early Education Program to relocate - 0
- Manchester panel OKs new academic standards, despite Common Core criticism - 2
- Nashua school staff see tests as key to tracking student growth - 0
- Two Manchester schools off 'priority' list - 0
- Nashua officials seek advice on issue of student cellphone searches vs. privacy - 9
- Manchester school district makes bid to run Job Corps center - 2
- NEASC votes to reaccredit Central High - 1
- Londonderry school policy updates sought - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Charles M. Arlinghaus: Taxation without representation again? - 1
- Distracted legislating: Our baseless cellphone ban - 0
- Another View -- Betsy McCaughey: Our free lunch President - 0
- Another View -- Karlyn Borysenko: Workplace bullying is a serious problem, governor - 0
- Workplace abuse: Governor gets one right - 0
- Red Sox pull Lester from Wednesday start amid trade rumors - 0
- Accused Abby kidnapper Kibby had past minor brushes with police - 0
- Police say youths at New Boston underage drinking party resisted arrest - 3
- Man hospitalized following Rochester shooting; suspect still at large - 0
Market Basket community waits and watches
Win tickets to see ZZ Top
Win tickets to see the Pretty Reckless
Abby's alleged kidnapper held on $1M bail
Heroes all? A word cheapened by overuse
Punch line: The NFL blows it
Supporters are now 'Abby Strong'
Dover man sought in Rochester shooting