Jonah Goldberg: Obama and the big Obamacare lie
The most famous presidential lies have to do with misconduct (Richard Nixon's "I am not a crook" or Bill Clinton's "I did not have sexual relations") or war. Woodrow Wilson campaigned on the slogan "He kept us out of war" and then plunged us into a calamitous war. Franklin D. Roosevelt made a similar vow: "I have said this before, but I shall say it again and again: Your boys are not going to be sent into any foreign wars."
That appears to be the new rationalization for Obama's bait-and-switch. "Right now all that insurance companies are saying is, 'We don't meet the requirements under Obamacare, but we're going to offer you a better deal!'" explained Juan Williams on "Fox News Sunday."
At the 2008 Democratic National Convention, Obama talked at great length about the middle class and not once about the poor. His critics on the right said he was lying, that he was really more interested in income distribution. Such charges were dismissed as paranoid and even racist. But the critics were right. Obama was either lying to himself or to the rest of us — because he was playing the game to win.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Pinkerton community excited about relationship with Google - 2
- Manchester school chief's contract extended, with raise linked to teachers' - 1
- New superintendent named in Lebanon - 0
- Board of Ed finds in favor of Goffstown; Dunbarton plans Supreme Court appeal - 2
- Tech conference sparks ideas and imagination - 0
- Nashua assessment tests miss the mark - 1
- St. A's board of trustees responds to criticism of graduation change - 2
- Officials proposing cutting Derry school budget by $1.4 million - 0
- St. Anselm in a stir over graduation date change - 13
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NHIAA Basketball: Memorial needs shootout to get by Bow - 0
- Man arrested after chase that led from Pelham to Lowell, Mass. - 0
- No shortage of post-holiday shoppers at local stores - 0
- West junior advising College Board on its entrance exams - 0
- Merrimack teen allegedly held girl captive - 0
- Derry making progress with efforts to honor POWS, MIAs - 0
- Lions Club blood drive draws on spirit of giving - 0
- Last Week's Rare Bird Alert - 0
- Merrimack teen allegedly held girl captive, assaulted her - 0
'Interview' buzz spreads to NH
Murder suspect fit for trial?
Pipeline push gets a second wind