Steve Ahnen: NH mental patients endure unacceptably long waits for care
The impact is that adults and children are confined in hospital emergency departments that are not designed or staffed for psychiatric care as they await transfer to New Hampshire Hospital. These waiting times can last for days or weeks. Lengthy delays for care at the time of a mental health crisis — often in a confined and isolated setting — can be frightening, stressful and can cause the individual’s underlying condition to worsen. It is frustrating and stressful for family members and health care professionals; also, the need to justify this type of confinement is creating issues of justice and proper protection of individual rights.
All of the factors that are contributing to this rapid increase in the admitting queue are not yet clear. From both the community mental health centers’ and the local hospitals’ vantage points, we are able to identify some contributing factors, but we believe that a more comprehensive and rapid review of this public health situation needs to be undertaken.
• Analyze its cause and devise short-term and medium-term bridging strategies to alleviate the New Hampshire Hospital backups;
• Provide more immediate care for those in a mental health crisis.
The time to act is now, before yet another tragic event occurs.
Steve Ahnen is president of the New Hampshire Hospital Association. Jay Couture is president of the New Hampshire Community Behavioral Health Association.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Reports: Yankees get Red Sox Jacoby Ellsbury - 0
- Vin Sylvia: Making the case for Carpenter - 0
- Vin Sylvia: Newly retired Chris Carpenter planning to move back to NH - 0
- Gomes hopes Red Sox retain all their free agents - 0
- Carpenter lauded as one of Cardinals' all-time greats - 1
- Amherst's Huntington runner-up to Cherington - 0
- Cherington garners Executive of the Year - 0
- Red Sox extend offers to Elsbury, Napoli and Drew - 0
- Dave D'Donofrio's Sox Beat: Redemption Sox - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Sabres pull away from Bruins - 0
- Bishop Guertin boys top Salem in OT - 0
- Wildcats will need to contend with Fargodome noise - 0
- Allen Lessels' UNH Notebook: Kicking game could play crucial role for UNH - 0
- State settles $24.5M lawsuit to force help for mentally ill - 0
- Groton Wind turbines slated to start turning again shortly - 0
- Judicial, PUC appointments before Executive Council - 0
- Hooksett man convicted in fatal boating accident - 0
- Man awarded $250K in sexual assault at medical center - 0
Ice storm threatens the region
Gun-rights rally against Scott Brown gets rejection from city of Nashua; protesters say event will go on
Al Baldasaro may run for U.S. Senate
'Nutcracker' at Stockbridge
Beltran, Yankees make it official
Nashua man held in home invasion
Scott Brown brings out protesters in NH
Money raised for dog hit by snow plow