Grinnell Elementary School in Derry adds teacher to reduce crowding
Fifth-grade enrollment surged at the beginning of the school year, bringing the total number of students to 59, said Principal Mary Hill.
To help ease crowding, the School Board approved a plan earlier in the school year to add an additional classroom and teacher for Grinnell. The decision reduced the average classroom size from around 29.5 to just under 20 students.
To foster a sense of community, all fifth-grade families were recently invited to attend a dinner, Hill said.
Earlier in the school year, another elementary school in town was also experiencing crowding in the fifth grade. The School Board addressed crowding at Ernest P. Barka School by agreeing to hire a paraprofessional.
Since the board’s vote, the school has hired Samantha Wallack, who is also a certified teacher, LaFleur said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- George Will: Regulatory overkill everywhere - 0
- Another View -- Marilinda Garcia: Ann Kuster loves Obamacare but won't pay for it - 33
- John Stossel: Earth Day is more like Earth Daze - 3
- Drew Cline: Rand Paul's coalition vs. Ted Cruz's army - 5
- Another View -- Jeff Goley and Will Infantine: Time for an increase in weekly benefits for NH unemployed - 4
- George Will: Understanding our divisions - 0
- Jonah Goldberg: Attorney General Eric Holder's race card - 0
- Another View -- Bobby Jindal: NH should trust parents to choose schools - 14
- Charles Arlinghaus: A $400 million hole was just blown in the state budget - 5
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Garry Rayno's State House Dome: It's time to make legislative sausage - 0
- Memory of bombings remains vivid for those who were there - 0
- Ted Siefer's City Hall: No power play in aldermanic chambers, mayor in good spirits - 1
- On Baseball: Locke pitches game in minor league rehab - 0
- NH's top prospects happy to be part of Boston - 0
- Relative newcomers vie for Boston title - 0
- NH College Notebook: Franklin Pierce's King named to 18U coaching staff - 0
- Andy Schachat's On the Run: New Hampshire makes a big deal about Boston Marathon - 0
- Another View - Ahad Fazelat: How Medicare reimbursement numbers are misleading - 0
Man electrocuted at Keene brush fire
A cellphone ban: Ignoring inconvenient data
Havenstein: 'I'm a pro-choice Republican'
Mike Cote's Business Editor's Notebook: Restaurant owner faces up to challenge of Obamacare
'He is risen': 'As he said'