Grinnell Elementary School in Derry adds teacher to reduce crowding
Fifth-grade enrollment surged at the beginning of the school year, bringing the total number of students to 59, said Principal Mary Hill.
To help ease crowding, the School Board approved a plan earlier in the school year to add an additional classroom and teacher for Grinnell. The decision reduced the average classroom size from around 29.5 to just under 20 students.
To foster a sense of community, all fifth-grade families were recently invited to attend a dinner, Hill said.
Earlier in the school year, another elementary school in town was also experiencing crowding in the fifth grade. The School Board addressed crowding at Ernest P. Barka School by agreeing to hire a paraprofessional.
Since the board’s vote, the school has hired Samantha Wallack, who is also a certified teacher, LaFleur said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- David Harsanyi: The senators who really threaten America - 1
- Your Turn, NH -- Ted Menswar Jr.: How Manchester pulled together to honor one of its greats - 1
- Jonah Goldberg: Is the Islamic State really un-Islamic? - 1
- George Will: Scotland's epic vote - 1
- Charles Krauthammer: Obama's uncertain trumpet, again - 0
- Maureen McDonald: Ray Rice and the everyday problem of domestic violence - 1
- Another View -- Jason Bedrick: An important court victory for parents and taxpayers - 3
- Thomas Sowell: Mob rule economics is bad for everyone - 8
- George Will: Eviscerating the 1st Amendment is extremism - 5
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Pair accused in Hampstead home invasion also face witness tampering charges - 0
- Gunman hits Circle K convenience store in Durham - 0
- Suicide car bomber kills 3 foreign troops in Afghan capital; Taliban claims responsibility - 0
- City officials to review proposed 'spice' ban - 0
- Widow of chiropractor killed this summer says fatal shooting was no accident - 0
- Manchester's Delana Curtis is left out in the cold - 0
- Another View -- Sharon Day: The Democrats' claim to be the party for women is just not believable - 3
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Brady a realist - 0
- Burning rubber: And public dollars - 0
Mexican man pleads guilty in international conspiracy to traffic hundreds of pounds of cocaine
DWI license revocations
Another View -- Sharon Day: The Democrats' claim to be the party for women is just not believable
Strategery: A war by any other name
Freeh dumb: Favoritism in Vt.?
Seabrook mom pleads not guilty by reason of insanity to attempted murder of her two children