Grinnell Elementary School in Derry adds teacher to reduce crowding
Fifth-grade enrollment surged at the beginning of the school year, bringing the total number of students to 59, said Principal Mary Hill.
To help ease crowding, the School Board approved a plan earlier in the school year to add an additional classroom and teacher for Grinnell. The decision reduced the average classroom size from around 29.5 to just under 20 students.
To foster a sense of community, all fifth-grade families were recently invited to attend a dinner, Hill said.
Earlier in the school year, another elementary school in town was also experiencing crowding in the fifth grade. The School Board addressed crowding at Ernest P. Barka School by agreeing to hire a paraprofessional.
Since the board’s vote, the school has hired Samantha Wallack, who is also a certified teacher, LaFleur said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- School group favors opening JROTC at Nashua high school - 0
- Athletics Dept. employee at UNH fired over 'invasion of privacy' - 0
- Loeb School spring classes include travel writing - 0
- Windham ready to open a 'Little Shop of Horrors' - 0
- Salem to decide fate of $75m school proposal - 0
- Allenstown parents mobilize to stave off $1 million school budget cut - 0
- Busy week for voters in Hollis, Brookline - 0
- Nashua to debate school spending - 0
- Test scores tell tale of one city, several towns - 4
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Pair rescues dog from frozen Raymond river - 0
- Police seek robber of Nashua convenience store - 0
- Exeter police say man briefly suffocated 3-year-old girl - 0
- Pilot safe after crash landing on Alton ice runway - 0
- NHIAA Boys' Basketball: Merrimack survives scare - 0
- NHIAA Tournament Roundup: Central breaks away from Exeter - 0
- College Hockey: Dartmouth drops tournament opener - 0
- FEMA OKs $8m for repairs in Lincoln, Lebanon - 0
- Official says Manchester lost out on $1.5m for cell tower court has now ordered built - 7
Blue shame: Obamacare's big change
Ted Siefer's City Hall: It was all about chickens, alleged threats and nocturnal wanderings
Planned Parenthood funds S&M Web video
NH delays enforcing liquor warehouse pact
Roger Simon: How would Hillary handle Putin?