Peterborough family plans bone marrow drive
The drive is planned for 2 to 6 p.m. on Friday at Bowling Acres on Elm Street.
“It’s been just about almost exactly one year since Steve was diagnosed with Stage 4B Hodgkin’s lymphoma,” said mom Laura Mahoney Tuesday.
Mahoney Jr. has received three different types of chemotherapy to no avail. Although the family has been told Hodgkin’s lymphoma can be an easier cancer to battle than others, his latest doctor has referred to his case as “Hodgkin’s from hell,” Mahoney said.
By holding a registration drive the couple can add members to the registration and raise awareness of the need for bone marrow donors, Mahoney said.
There is no cost to register. By state law health insurance companies must pay the testing fee, Mahoney said. If you are not insured the testing will be covered through a foundation called Michael’s Match.
“If you turn out to be a match you are contacted and sent to the nearest hospital for further testing,” Mahoney said.
Blood tests will confirm the match and the donor would then be asked to undergo one of either two procedures. The first extracts bone marrow from a blood donation. The other is a more invasive procedure in which bone marrow is taken directly from the hip bone. The procedure chosen depends on the needs of the transplant recipient.
If you can’t attend the registration drive you can go online and request a home testing kit from bethematch.org.
To improve the chance of seeing your comment posted here or published in the New Hampshire Union Leader:
- Identify yourself. Accounts using fake or incomplete names are suspended regardless of the quality of posts.
- Say something new, stay on topic, keep it short.
- Links to outside URLs are discouraged, if used they should be on topic.
- Avoid comments in bad taste, write well, avoid using all capital letters
- Don't cite facts about individuals or businesses without providing a means to verify the claim
- If you see an objectionable comment please click the "Report Abuse" button and be sure to tell us why.
Note: Comments are the opinion of the respective poster and not of the publisher.Be the first to comment.