Home » News » Public Safety
Remains found during search for Abigail Hernandez may be of missing Conway man
While search crews were combing the woods near Cranmore Mountain Resort on Oct. 12 in the early days of the search for 15-year-old Abigail Hernandez, who disappeared after leaving school on Oct. 9, they came upon human remains of someone who authorities said had died several years ago.
But they have a sole “person of interest” in the case, identified by Andrew as John Sweeney of Mechanic Street in Conway, who was 50 when he disappeared in 2006.
Sweeney disappeared on July 29, 2006, after leaving a note to his wife saying he was going for a walk in the woods, according to a report in The Conway Daily Sun.
Andrew said there appears to be no foul play involved in the case. No cause of death has been established.
“Nothing has risen to the point of (police) investigators being interested,” Andrew said, declining to elaborate further on his medical investigation.
“That has been known to happen a fair amount in New Hampshire, more often than most people might think,” Andrew said.
Andrew said New Hampshire investigators are waiting for medical records from Maine.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- UPDATE: Dover toll plaza appears undamaged after Tuesday crash - 2
- Hooksett officer struck by motorist - 3
- UPDATE: Thornton woman dies after being struck by car in Campton - 0
- UPDATE: Could be 'months' before deciding on charges in crash involving Dover city councilor - 1
- Fire destroys South Hampton barn - 0
- Police investigating why Maine woman died in Somersworth apartment - 0
- Body found floating in Portsmouth - 0
- Spofford crash seriously injures two - 0
- Fire destroys barn in South Hampton - 0
READER COMMENTS: 7
- UPDATE: Portsmouth woman, 60, identified after her body is found in creek - 1
- N.Y. man charged with reckless conduct after accidental shooting in Nashua - 1
- Cases against Keene 'Robin Hooders' dismissed by judge - 7
- Task force arrests man in Nottingham for Candia burglary - 1
- Police: Salem man used car keys to stab officer in hand - 1
- Manchester muffler shop burglarized - 0
- State revenue under projections for November - 1
- Armed man arrested after Manchester convenience store robbery - 0
- Store cashier in Littleton refuses to give up the cash to robber - 0
UPDATE: Could be 'months' before deciding on charges in crash involving Dover city councilor
What Congress? Obama's 'easy way out'
- Would you support spending local tax dollars to buy your police department a $250K armored vehicle?
- Total Votes: 1072