Home » News » Public Safety
Remains found during search for Abigail Hernandez may be of missing Conway man
While search crews were combing the woods near Cranmore Mountain Resort on Oct. 12 in the early days of the search for 15-year-old Abigail Hernandez, who disappeared after leaving school on Oct. 9, they came upon human remains of someone who authorities said had died several years ago.
But they have a sole “person of interest” in the case, identified by Andrew as John Sweeney of Mechanic Street in Conway, who was 50 when he disappeared in 2006.
Sweeney disappeared on July 29, 2006, after leaving a note to his wife saying he was going for a walk in the woods, according to a report in The Conway Daily Sun.
Andrew said there appears to be no foul play involved in the case. No cause of death has been established.
“Nothing has risen to the point of (police) investigators being interested,” Andrew said, declining to elaborate further on his medical investigation.
“That has been known to happen a fair amount in New Hampshire, more often than most people might think,” Andrew said.
Andrew said New Hampshire investigators are waiting for medical records from Maine.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Manchester man injured in Ohio helicopter crash - 0
- BAE worker suffers electrical shock, injuries not life-threatening - 1
- Tubers lose contact with group, spend night in wooded area - 1
- Abby says it's incredible to be home; mom tells TODAY daughter did not run away - 9
- Dozens of ill Keith Urban fans treated at concert near Boston - 0
- Five hikers rescued in separate incidents Saturday - 2
- Powerboat hits canoe on Winnipesaukee - 5
- Police search for driver in Hollis hit-and-run - 1
- Canoe, powerboat collide on Lake Winnipesaukee - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Pembroke couple recovering from injuries in Dixville ATV crash - 0
- Patriots Notebook: Physical Browner brings it - 0
- Heroes all? A word cheapened by overuse - 5
- City Matters: Market Basket workers' outlook challenges the skeptics among us - 1
- Punch line: The NFL blows it - 1
- George Will: A conservative internationalism - 0
- Sox Beat: Red Sox haven't made a deal for Lester — yet - 0
- Jonah Goldberg: The Democrats' cynical impeachment play - 0
- Drew Cline: Home is where the really competent governing is done - 1
Canobie Lake Park shuts down popular ride
Supporters are now 'Abby Strong'
Dover man sought in Rochester shooting
Heroes all? A word cheapened by overuse
Mark Hayward's City Matters: Market Basket workers' outlook challenges the skeptics among us