Home » News » Public Safety
Remains found during search for Abigail Hernandez may be of missing Conway man
While search crews were combing the woods near Cranmore Mountain Resort on Oct. 12 in the early days of the search for 15-year-old Abigail Hernandez, who disappeared after leaving school on Oct. 9, they came upon human remains of someone who authorities said had died several years ago.
But they have a sole “person of interest” in the case, identified by Andrew as John Sweeney of Mechanic Street in Conway, who was 50 when he disappeared in 2006.
Sweeney disappeared on July 29, 2006, after leaving a note to his wife saying he was going for a walk in the woods, according to a report in The Conway Daily Sun.
Andrew said there appears to be no foul play involved in the case. No cause of death has been established.
“Nothing has risen to the point of (police) investigators being interested,” Andrew said, declining to elaborate further on his medical investigation.
“That has been known to happen a fair amount in New Hampshire, more often than most people might think,” Andrew said.
Andrew said New Hampshire investigators are waiting for medical records from Maine.
READER COMMENTS: 25
- Extreme skier's handgun found, returned to him - 8
- Antrim fire damages cape - 0
- Merrimack students get a sobering lesson about drinking and driving - 0
- Two crashes reported on I-93 in Canterbury, Londonderry - 0
- Man killed in Seabrook fire identified - 0
- UPDATE: Search suspended for Northfield man a second day - 0
- Serious Concord crash injures Mass. woman - 0
- Concord police seek help locating homeless man - 0
- Barrington home destroyed in two-alarm blaze - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NH Legal Perspective -- Health care decision making: Pending legislation fills gap - 0
- GoShopNH offers workshop to NH artisans on selling their products online - 0
- Christopher Thompson's Closing the Deal: Be a student of your profession - 0
- NHIAA Boys' Lacrosse: Bedford proving Division I-worthy - 0
- NHIAA Baseball: Londonderry's Corey escapes seventh-inning jam in win - 0
- Pope presides at Vatican Mass leading Catholics into Easter - 0
- Top-ranked B's seek to tie up series - 0
- Bottoms up for Red Sox in win over Orioles - 0
- Struggling Fisher Cats defeated again - 0
Man electrocuted at Keene brush fire
Citizens Bank robbed Saturday in Manchester