Home » Sports » Baseball » Red Sox/MLB
Lester shuts down Cardinals, Red Sox one win away
The Sox’ ace lefty went 7-2/3 innings, allowing just four hits and one run as Boston beat the St. Louis Cardinals, 3-1, in Game 5 of the World Series at Busch Stadium in St. Louis on Monday night.
Lester threw just 91 pitches in his masterpiece, a fourth-inning home run to Matt Holliday the only blemish on his performance.
The big inning was the seventh. With the score 1-1, Xander Bogaerts singled up the middle and the beleaguered Stephen Drew worked a walk. Catcher David Ross, known more for his defense, laced a ground-rule double into the left-field corner to score Bogaerts. Drew advanced to third.
The Sox scored in the first inning when Dustin Pedroia and David Ortiz hit back-to-back doubles off Cardinals starter Adam Wainwright.Lester’s World Series credentials shine. In three career starts, he has thrown 21 innings and allowed one run.Ortiz was 3-for-4 and is now hitting .733 in the Series.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- George Will: Executive discretion to the extreme - 0
- Charles Arlinghaus: Being better than New Jersey isn't good enough - 1
- Kathy Sullivan: GOP outrage machine might have finally gone too far - 46
- Jonah Goldberg: Triumph of the vulgarians - 1
- Maureen Mann: Labeling genetically-modified foods would help New Hampshire consumers - 16
- David Harsanyi: Ninety-six percent of Americans are wrong about Congress - 3
- Patrick J. Buchanan: Will we go to war over Japanese islands? - 0
- Sean Kenneally: A once pure NH view is no more - 13
- Jonah Goldberg: Obamacare was sold on a few core lies - 8
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Hollis school officials call police on Santa Claus - 0
- Rusty water in Manchester caused by water main break in Bedford - 0
- Forecasters eye possible weekend ice storm - 0
- Abigail's mother issues plea for Christmas return - 1
- Fugitive caught hiding under bed in Jaffrey - 0
- Target says data security breach may affect 40 million cards - 0
- Nashua man held in home invasion - 0
- Fugitive of the week: James Porter - 0
- Quick thinking closes the door on Somersworth fire - 0
Snow could reschedule Super Bowl
1 dead following Route 101 crash in Milford
City man charged with endangering child