Salem approves automatic expulsion for students who bring gun to school
Students who bring weapons other than guns onto school property are automatically suspended with an investigation to follow.
According to Superintendent Michael Delahanty, the policy is consistent with national regulations that consider any event sponsored and sanctioned by a school as taking place on school property.
Carney cited the possibility that a student who is properly licensed to carry a firearm could be on private property but would be subject to the consequences of the property.
"I understand the explanation, but still have a hard time rationalizing how we can go on private property that is open to the public and say no one can bring a gun (if it is legally licensed)," said Carney.
"It doesn't suggest that there is a consequence for anyone other than a student carrying a weapon onto school property," said Delahanty.
Carney voted for the policy but said there could still be a potential legal email@example.com
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Pat Buchanan: China has begun prowling Asia like a hungry tiger - 3
- Thomas Sowell: Victimhood and race - 4
- Fred Hiatt: While Obama talked, Assad killed - 4
- Ramesh Ponnuru: Why the latest corporate tax cut plan won't work - 1
- Aidan Connell: Manchester Central educated this Hooksett student very well - 13
- Deroy Murdock; Fracking is 'greener' than environmentalists want to admit - 10
- Margaret Carlson: Is Obamacare challenging enough yet for President Obama? - 4
- George Will: Scott Walker, action figure governor - 1
- Charles Krauthammer: An outbreak of lawlessness - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Hudson man facing DWI charge after crash - 0
- Minimum wage rally at South Willow McDonald's - 4
- Frisbie hospital seeks hearing on network exclusion, information denial - 0
- Ayotte praised over attempt to change broadband funding - 0
- Pats prepare for Browns' bag of 'tricks' - 0
- Believe it: Celtics are in first - 0
- Vonn finishes training run, mulls entering Friday's race - 0
- Windham teachers' contract in mediation - 0
- College Roundup: Springfield shoots SNHU past FPU - 0
Dingman: Parole me for murder of parents
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Bob Smith ready to hire campaign manager for his 2014 US Senate run
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Scott Brown to be in Londonderry tonight, says 'nothing is really changed' on political plans
- Should schools do more to police food and beverages consumed at school?
- Total Votes: 112