Salem approves automatic expulsion for students who bring gun to school
Students who bring weapons other than guns onto school property are automatically suspended with an investigation to follow.
According to Superintendent Michael Delahanty, the policy is consistent with national regulations that consider any event sponsored and sanctioned by a school as taking place on school property.
Carney cited the possibility that a student who is properly licensed to carry a firearm could be on private property but would be subject to the consequences of the property.
"I understand the explanation, but still have a hard time rationalizing how we can go on private property that is open to the public and say no one can bring a gun (if it is legally licensed)," said Carney.
"It doesn't suggest that there is a consequence for anyone other than a student carrying a weapon onto school property," said Delahanty.
Carney voted for the policy but said there could still be a potential legal firstname.lastname@example.org
READER COMMENTS: 3
- Another View -- Cass Sunstein: A salute to the graceful silence of George W. Bush - 7
- David Harsanyi : Run, Liz, run! - 16
- Another View -- Bill O'Brien: Ask your state rep. to vote for transparency in the House - 43
- Another View -- Harold Meyerson: The right underestimates Elizabeth Warren's appeal - 39
- Jonah Goldberg: There was a time when we stood up to threats against free speech - 2
- Why I voted against the 'CRomnibus' spending bill - 20
- Another View -- Devon Chaffee: Why interrogators believe America should never torture - 2
- David Harsanyi: GOP establishment, stop whining - 0
- John Stossel: Individual giving beats government giving - 4
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Two Manchester women arrested in separate shoplifting incidents in Hooksett - 1
- Maine police search car belonging to husband of Londonderry shooting victim - 0
- Man arrested after chase, threatening to shoot police in Bow - 0
- Good Samaritan pins Manchester purse snatcher - 0
- Homeless man who saved woman from river: 'I don't consider myself a hero' - 9
- High School Basketball: Rivalries renewed in QCIBT - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Will they get everything on their list? - 0
- Tuohy brothers add new restaurant in familiar spot - 0
- New Horizons volunteers deliver groceries and good cheer, making Christmas special - 0
Londonderry schools placed on lockdown after soldier's unplanned visit to high school causes alarm
Police say woman tried to steal 15 iPads