Dec 4, 2014
Oct 30, 2014
Oct 2, 2014
Sep 25, 2014
Two Concord men arrested in armed robbery targeting Bhutanese residents
Tyler Burley, 19, and Brett Reno, also 19, both of 12 East Side Drive were arrested Friday on numerous charges in connection with the incident that occurred just after 2 a.m. on Oct. 13 outside their apartment building. The two lived together at the the same apartment complex as their alleged victims.
Police said the victims, all men, had just thrown some trash into a dumpster and were heading back to an apartment when they were confronted by two white men. The taller of the two, who police identified as Burley, pointed a knife at them and said, "Give us $20 or we will kill you guys."
The Bhutanese men refused and Burley allegedly slapped one of them across the face. Police said the victims tried to resolve the situation by reasoning with the two men, but instead Burley punched a second man in the mouth, cutting his lip.
The victims ran to their car, got in and drove off, but not before Burley hit their vehicle with either an object or his hand or foot, causing minor damage to it, police said.
They drove to a friend's house, called 911 and told police their assailats told them they knew they were Bhutanese, spoke Nepali and that they wouldn't report the crime to police.
Police said Burley was the taller robber who brandished the knife. Both allegedly demanded cash from the victims and conspired to commit the crime together.
Burley is charged with four counts of armed robbery, four counts of conspiracy to commit robbery, simple assault and criminal mischief, while Reno is charged with four counts of criminal liability to robbery, four counts of conspiracy to commit robbery and simple assault.
Lt. Timothy O'Malley said the two men are not charged with a hate crime because investigators believe they targeted the Bhutanese residents, not because of their race, but because they believed they were easy prey and would not call police.
Burley and Reno both refused bail and were held at the Merrimack County jail pending arraignment Monday in 6th Circuit Court, Concord District Division.
Police said the incident remains under investigation and anyone with information concerning it is asked to call Concord Regional Crimeline at 603-226-3100.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NH had 17 homicides in 2014, down from last year - 0
- Two people hospitalized following report of stabbing, police say - 0
- Merrimack teen charged in threats, assaults on girl - 0
- Man arrested after chase that led from Pelham to Lowell, Mass. - 1
- Merrimack teen allegedly held girl captive - 3
- Merrimack teen allegedly held girl captive, assaulted her - 1
- Former Colonial Theatre finance director indicted - 0
- Troy welfare officer indicted for misusing town’s money - 1
- Man arrested for failing to register as sex offender - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- 2014 top 10 list of wage and hour - 0
- Thumbs-up for Ebert's winner - 0
- It's Central, Merrimack - 0
- Goal: Stay healthy - 0
- Year in review: A look back at NH's top stories - 0
- Indecent proposition from New London chief was 'chilling' says victim - 1
- Details of Reams inquiry released - 0
- Workers' rally to bring back Artie T. captured public's heart - 0
- School district to receive millions withheld by state - 0
Merrimack teen allegedly held girl captive
'Interview' buzz spreads to NH
Thoughts as we move from one year to another
Details of Reams inquiry released
- Whom do you think bears the brunt of the blame for the mayhem this weekend in Keene?
- KSC students
- KSC administration
- Visitors from out of town
- A combination of any/all of the above
- Total Votes: 2483