NH ospreys survive S. American migration
Sadly, one of the four, a juvenile female named Weber, left her nest in Hampton Harbor on Sept. 6 and made an uninterrupted flight to Venezuela, but after her signal stopped on Sept. 29, researchers assume she perished. The fifth tagged osprey, an adult male named Mackenzie, died before leaving New Hampshire on the shore of Head Pond in Berlin, likely the victim of a predator. Researchers recovered his remains in October.
Donovan is the third adult male osprey to have survived the journey. Donovan is the father of two juveniles, Jill and Chip, who were followed, but perished, last year. Donovan departed New Hampshire on Sept. 17, eventually flew to the Virgin Islands but flew back to Puerto Rico where he fished for about a week before venturing south to St. Croix and a 660-mile nonstop trip from the Caribbean to Venezuela. MacLeod said Donovan is a mature bird who has made this migration several times.
Readers can follow the continuing journeys of Artoo, Bergen and Donovan on MacLeod's blog at nhnature/org/programs/project_ospreytrack/ or via MacLeod's Twitter feed, @OspreyNH.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Stacey Cole's Nature Talks: Crabapple trees great for wildlife in winter - 0
- Alex Preston makes top 10; with go on tour with 'American Idol' - 0
- Pinkerton contract defeat leads to talk of new school - 0
- Gaining independence back through adaptive skiing - 0
- Telling Your Family Story returns to Loeb School - 0
- Salem Public Works employee says she was harassed - 0
- Saul O Sidore Lecture Series at PSU presents Thomas F. Lee 'The Promises and Perils of the New Biology' - 0
- 'Shrek' to be Prescott Park Arts Festival's 2014 Summer Musical - 0
- Win tickets to see Billy Idol - 0
Win tickets to see Cheap Trick
Manchester actress Kaleigh Cronin visits Jersey before heading to Big Apple's Great White Way with role in 'Cabaret'
Win tickets to see Billy Idol
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Scott Brown announces exploratory committee for US Senate run
NH Supreme Court: Protecting police from liability more important than rights of man wrongly accused of rape
Manchester police pursuit ends in arrest