NH ospreys survive S. American migration
Sadly, one of the four, a juvenile female named Weber, left her nest in Hampton Harbor on Sept. 6 and made an uninterrupted flight to Venezuela, but after her signal stopped on Sept. 29, researchers assume she perished. The fifth tagged osprey, an adult male named Mackenzie, died before leaving New Hampshire on the shore of Head Pond in Berlin, likely the victim of a predator. Researchers recovered his remains in October.
Donovan is the third adult male osprey to have survived the journey. Donovan is the father of two juveniles, Jill and Chip, who were followed, but perished, last year. Donovan departed New Hampshire on Sept. 17, eventually flew to the Virgin Islands but flew back to Puerto Rico where he fished for about a week before venturing south to St. Croix and a 660-mile nonstop trip from the Caribbean to Venezuela. MacLeod said Donovan is a mature bird who has made this migration several times.
Readers can follow the continuing journeys of Artoo, Bergen and Donovan on MacLeod's blog at nhnature/org/programs/project_ospreytrack/ or via MacLeod's Twitter feed, @OspreyNH.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- 'Christmas Carol' a rite of passage for community theater world - 0
- Christmas chuckles served up at Queen City campus dining hall - 0
- Rex Fowler's Nutopians spotlight tunes by Beatles great John Lennon in Plymouth concert Friday - 0
- Palace Theatre celebrates holiday tradition with 'Christmas Carol' - 0
- Nutcracker comes to life in Boire Dance Academy's holiday production in Nashua - 0
- Holiday mayhem and magic ensues in a Nashua stage adventure - 0
- Musical siblings bring a Leahy Family Christmas to The Music Hall - 0
- Ghostly visits materialize in Lincoln play - 0
- Art Concord event Saturday opens doors to area galleries and artistic creations - 0
Rex Fowler's Nutopians spotlight tunes by Beatles great John Lennon in Plymouth concert Friday
NH stats: 60,000 in state hunt for deer
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Scott Brown to be in Londonderry tonight, says 'nothing is really changed' on political plans
Obama talks of remaining agenda
Dingman granted conditional parole
Conn. man charged in hit and run