NH ospreys survive S. American migration
This fall, so far so good for Artoo the osprey, being held here by Dr. Rob Bierregaard this summer after being fitted with a GPS tracking device.
Sadly, one of the four, a juvenile female named Weber, left her nest in Hampton Harbor on Sept. 6 and made an uninterrupted flight to Venezuela, but after her signal stopped on Sept. 29, researchers assume she perished. The fifth tagged osprey, an adult male named Mackenzie, died before leaving New Hampshire on the shore of Head Pond in Berlin, likely the victim of a predator. Researchers recovered his remains in October.
Donovan is the third adult male osprey to have survived the journey. Donovan is the father of two juveniles, Jill and Chip, who were followed, but perished, last year. Donovan departed New Hampshire on Sept. 17, eventually flew to the Virgin Islands but flew back to Puerto Rico where he fished for about a week before venturing south to St. Croix and a 660-mile nonstop trip from the Caribbean to Venezuela. MacLeod said Donovan is a mature bird who has made this migration several times.
Readers can follow the continuing journeys of Artoo, Bergen and Donovan on MacLeod's blog at nhnature/org/programs/project_ospreytrack/ or via MacLeod's Twitter feed, @OspreyNH.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Roots-rock jam band hits the road to showcase tunes off its latest disc - 0
- Holiday Arts Show to showcase fifteen Seacoast artists - 0
- Livingston Taylor brings sunny outlook to NH with 'Blue Sky' - 0
- Student performers present handful of concerts at UNH - 0
- 'Experience' tribute to Hendrix by fellow ax master Jon Butcher - 0
- Edgy 'Daily Show' resident expert John Hodgman shares opinion on humor - 0
- Manchester native, 'Voice' alum Josh Logan returns for hometown concert - 1
- Best-selling author Janet Evanovich chats about 'The Job' - 0
- Community members, Colby-Sawyer students sign on for holiday concert - 0
Hooksett rejects Manchester's tuition offer
Whimsy, physics unite in 'Objects in Motion'
Shaheen, Ayotte split on Keystone vote
King Obama: Creating a constitutional crisis
Premiums drop, so do subsidies for Obamacare
Former mayor makes pitch for commuter rail
VA wait times: They are still bad