NH ospreys survive S. American migration
This fall, so far so good for Artoo the osprey, being held here by Dr. Rob Bierregaard this summer after being fitted with a GPS tracking device.
Sadly, one of the four, a juvenile female named Weber, left her nest in Hampton Harbor on Sept. 6 and made an uninterrupted flight to Venezuela, but after her signal stopped on Sept. 29, researchers assume she perished. The fifth tagged osprey, an adult male named Mackenzie, died before leaving New Hampshire on the shore of Head Pond in Berlin, likely the victim of a predator. Researchers recovered his remains in October.
Donovan is the third adult male osprey to have survived the journey. Donovan is the father of two juveniles, Jill and Chip, who were followed, but perished, last year. Donovan departed New Hampshire on Sept. 17, eventually flew to the Virgin Islands but flew back to Puerto Rico where he fished for about a week before venturing south to St. Croix and a 660-mile nonstop trip from the Caribbean to Venezuela. MacLeod said Donovan is a mature bird who has made this migration several times.
Readers can follow the continuing journeys of Artoo, Bergen and Donovan on MacLeod's blog at nhnature/org/programs/project_ospreytrack/ or via MacLeod's Twitter feed, @OspreyNH.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Tasting Notes wtih Jim Beauregard: Mixing it up in the beer aisle - 0
- Homemade ice cream a delight for kids of any age in any era - 0
- Our Gourmet: Good food, good beer at Elm City - 0
- Isles of Shoals commemorated in weekend ceremony - 0
- Riding the indoor surfing wave - 0
- Rail rehab proposed for 42 miles of track - 0
- Stork Project labor of love for Hollis woman - 0
- Platinum Selling Rockers TRAPT Set To Release 'The Acoustic Collection' Sept. 23rd - 0
- Eight environments to explore this Fall by foot - 0
Win tickets to see the Pretty Reckless
Riding the indoor surfing wave
Rail rehab proposed for 42 miles of track
Market Basket: On the brink again
Judge slams spice search
NH's immigrants: Welcome the ones from Mass.
Pope’s call-out Where’s the Muslim outrage?
'Chicken' arrested at Londonderry parade