Ted Siefer's City Hall: It was a week of finger-pointing in Manchester politics
"That was a significant concern for us," Simmons said. "It's no secret that he has been publicly bashing fellow Republicans, and the mayor is a very big part of the Republican team in Manchester."
Gatsas said he had nothing negative to say about Levasseur, nor did he want to comment on the matter; it was the GOP committee that came up with the policy, he said.
Infantine had recently become chairman of the GOP committee until he temporarily stepped down; he said he didn't want there to be any perception of a conflict of interest during the campaign.
There was a certain irony in Ward 10 Alderman Phil Greazzo having to explain himself to someone from the Attorney General's Office last week. A critic of the Manchester Dog Park Association lodged a complaint against the group, which Greazzo co-founded, over whether it was properly registered.
Greazzo said the report Barry belatedly filed with the city also raises concerns, in particular the fact that most of the money came from public sector unions - and the largest single contribution, $1,000, came from the "Gabby PAC," which was established by former U.S. Rep. Gabrielle "Gabby" Giffords, D-Arizona, who was shot in the head. That group, Greazzo has noted, is "working to reduce Second Amendment rights nationwide."
Barry insisted there was nothing inappropriate about his sheriff's campaign and that he kept careful records of its finances. "The AG's Office is way too busy to waste time investigating me. They got the girl missing in North Conway. They don't need this," he said.
As for the check from the Gabby PAC, Barry said he met Giffords and her husband over the summer and was very impressed. "She's an American hero," said Barry, who is a retired police officer.
On Thursday, the city GOP sent out a press release noting that three Democratic candidates for alderman and school board seats had unpaid property tax bills. Ward 9 Alderman Barbara Shaw owes $2,077 for her 2013 tax bill; Ward 6 school board member Dan Bergeron owes $2,018; and Ward 4 school board candidate Amy Bradley owes $1,852.
There is a bit of wrinkle in Simmons' news release. It turns out she also is behind on her payments to the city; she's hasn't paid her sewer bills in three years and has a debt of $1,261, according to the city tax collector's website.
"Or maybe not paying your tax bill is a requirement to be a Republican Party Chair in New Hampshire," Kulig said.
"This is why I think it is so important that we elect folks that believe in responsible spending and live within its means so that the residents of Manchester can continue to live within theirs."
READER COMMENTS: 2
- Ted Siefer's City Hall: Open-and-shut (down) case for closing West High - 4
- Ted Siefer's City Hall: Questions arise over sale, other options for old police station - 4
- Ted Siefer's City Hall: Bramante's 'free' education initiative gets green light - 1
- Ted Siefer's City Hall: It was all about chickens, alleged threats and nocturnal wanderings - 1
- Ted Siefer's City Hall: Levasseur comes out swinging with lawsuit against city - 4
- Ted Siefer's City Hall: Despite confusion, public comment is welcome at meetings - 6
- Ted Siefer's City Hall: A time for ideas and budget matters, large and small - 4
- Ted Siefer's City Hall: Automatic pay step grenade could be tossed Tuesday night - 2
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Barrington home destroyed in two-alarm blaze - 0
- Red Sox snap skid with win in 14-inning, 5+ hour marathon - 0
- IT overload: Bureaucracy on bureaucracy - 0
- Tom Herzig's Trackside: Monadnock Speedway to open Saturday - 0
- Div. I basketball won’t welcome Pembroke boys - 0
- Enter Sandman Jr.: Mariano Rivera's son to play for NECBL team - 0
- Mark Hayward's City Matters: An exercise in getting better - 0
- Drew Cline: Rand Paul's coalition vs. Ted Cruz's army - 2
- Another View -- Jeff Goley and Will Infantine: Time for an increase in weekly benefits for NH unemployed - 2
Manchester mayor: 'It's the tax cap budget'
Derry woman accused of burglaries
Body of missing NH man found in Vermont
Manchester mayor: 'It's the tax cap budget'
Taxes and spending: Washington vs. NH
School fights mascot battle
Another View -- Jeff Goley and Will Infantine: Time for an increase in weekly benefits for NH unemployed
Texting while stopped: Banning safe behavior