Ted Siefer's City Hall: It was a week of finger-pointing in Manchester politics
"That was a significant concern for us," Simmons said. "It's no secret that he has been publicly bashing fellow Republicans, and the mayor is a very big part of the Republican team in Manchester."
Gatsas said he had nothing negative to say about Levasseur, nor did he want to comment on the matter; it was the GOP committee that came up with the policy, he said.
Infantine had recently become chairman of the GOP committee until he temporarily stepped down; he said he didn't want there to be any perception of a conflict of interest during the campaign.
There was a certain irony in Ward 10 Alderman Phil Greazzo having to explain himself to someone from the Attorney General's Office last week. A critic of the Manchester Dog Park Association lodged a complaint against the group, which Greazzo co-founded, over whether it was properly registered.
Greazzo said the report Barry belatedly filed with the city also raises concerns, in particular the fact that most of the money came from public sector unions - and the largest single contribution, $1,000, came from the "Gabby PAC," which was established by former U.S. Rep. Gabrielle "Gabby" Giffords, D-Arizona, who was shot in the head. That group, Greazzo has noted, is "working to reduce Second Amendment rights nationwide."
Barry insisted there was nothing inappropriate about his sheriff's campaign and that he kept careful records of its finances. "The AG's Office is way too busy to waste time investigating me. They got the girl missing in North Conway. They don't need this," he said.
As for the check from the Gabby PAC, Barry said he met Giffords and her husband over the summer and was very impressed. "She's an American hero," said Barry, who is a retired police officer.
On Thursday, the city GOP sent out a press release noting that three Democratic candidates for alderman and school board seats had unpaid property tax bills. Ward 9 Alderman Barbara Shaw owes $2,077 for her 2013 tax bill; Ward 6 school board member Dan Bergeron owes $2,018; and Ward 4 school board candidate Amy Bradley owes $1,852.
There is a bit of wrinkle in Simmons' news release. It turns out she also is behind on her payments to the city; she's hasn't paid her sewer bills in three years and has a debt of $1,261, according to the city tax collector's website.
"Or maybe not paying your tax bill is a requirement to be a Republican Party Chair in New Hampshire," Kulig said.
"This is why I think it is so important that we elect folks that believe in responsible spending and live within its means so that the residents of Manchester can continue to live within theirs."
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Non-profits seek grants through budget process - 0
- Ted Siefer's City Hall: A dust-up over Common Core, and kudos to custodians - 7
- Ted Siefer's City Hall: Hold your horses, Tex; just how weird was it? - 50
- Ted Siefer's City Hall: School board gives cool nod to STEAM - 13
- Ted Siefer's City Hall: Manchester elections held thrill of victory and near victory - 2
- Ted Siefer's City Hall: World Series it wasn't, but debate had some hits - 6
- Ted Siefer's City Hall: It was a week of finger-pointing in Manchester politics - 67
- Ted Siefer's City Hall: Mayoral debate came down to a question of project financing - 9
- Ted Siefer's City Hall: Candidate Beauchamp declines to discuss his past - 3
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Sales of new limited edition ‘Old Man’ liquor bottles will help fund Hall of Flags restoration project - 0
- Propane truck overturns on Bow side street - 0
- NH makes tort reform group's 'Judicial Hellholes' list - 4
- Manchester's O'Neill, Lebanon's Morrill form UNH's 'Granite Wall' - 0
- UPDATE: Stretch of I-293 South, North lanes reopen after propane tanker crashes - 1
- $13m contract recommended for next phase of Nashua parkway - 0
- Couple charged in connection with Exeter burglaries - 0
- Proposed article sets rules for use of temporary signs - 0
- Newsreel: State unemployment stable; Gates Foundation CEO named; generic Viagra out soon - 0
Police say man attacked woman with sword