NHIAA Field Hockey: Derryfield, Gilford, Berlin advance
Kelsey Buckley scored on a penalty stroke eight minutes in and then tallied again 7:00 before the half, this time assisted by Rachel Blandford. Logan Baxter scored an insurance goal in the second half for Gilford and goalkeeper Ashlyn Miller was not required to make any saves in the shutout.
Derryfield 3, Stevens 0: Top-ranked and unbeaten Derryfield continued its march through the postseason with a 3-0 quarterfinal victory over Stevens of Claremont Saturday.
Colbi Vaillancourt had two goals for the Cougars, one unassisted eight minutes into the first half and another, assisted by Polly Carter, with two minutes to go in the game. Sandwiched between those was an unassisted tally by Lainee Shaughnessy in the game’s 11th minute.
Goalie Kate Johnson turned away four Stevens shots behind a Derryfield defense led by Theo O’Leary, Cat Green and Mary Quinn.
It was the second tournament shutout for the Cougars, who were 6-0 winners in the first round against Mascoma Valley last week.
Derryfield’s semifinal opponent is fourth-seeded Hopkinton, Wednesday at 7 p.m. at Exeter High School.
Berlin 4, Littleton 0: At Berlin, sophomore Jensyn Dandeneau scored three goals and assisted on another as third-seeded Berlin advanced to the semifinals of the Division III tournament.Myra Arsenault also scored for Berlin.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Fergus Cullen: The Christmas card many of us wish we could send - 0
- Ben Dick: Teachers had good reason to reject Manchester contract offer - 16
- Jonah Goldberg: Obamacare: Silence of the insurers - 3
- George Will: Executive discretion to the extreme - 0
- Charles Arlinghaus: Being better than New Jersey isn't good enough - 1
- Kathy Sullivan: GOP outrage machine might have finally gone too far - 47
- Jonah Goldberg: Triumph of the vulgarians - 2
- Maureen Mann: Labeling genetically-modified foods would help New Hampshire consumers - 16
- David Harsanyi: Ninety-six percent of Americans are wrong about Congress - 4
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Sabres pull away from Bruins - 0
- Bishop Guertin boys top Salem in OT - 0
- Wildcats will need to contend with Fargodome noise - 0
- Allen Lessels' UNH Notebook: Kicking game could play crucial role for UNH - 0
- State settles $24.5M lawsuit to force help for mentally ill - 0
- Groton Wind turbines slated to start turning again shortly - 0
- Judicial, PUC appointments before Executive Council - 0
- Hooksett man convicted in fatal boating accident - 0
- Man awarded $250K in sexual assault at medical center - 0
Ice storm threatens the region
Gun-rights rally against Scott Brown gets rejection from city of Nashua; protesters say event will go on
Al Baldasaro may run for U.S. Senate
'Nutcracker' at Stockbridge
Nashua man held in home invasion
Scott Brown brings out protesters in NH
Money raised for dog hit by snow plow