NHIAA Field Hockey: Derryfield, Gilford, Berlin advance
Kelsey Buckley scored on a penalty stroke eight minutes in and then tallied again 7:00 before the half, this time assisted by Rachel Blandford. Logan Baxter scored an insurance goal in the second half for Gilford and goalkeeper Ashlyn Miller was not required to make any saves in the shutout.
Derryfield 3, Stevens 0: Top-ranked and unbeaten Derryfield continued its march through the postseason with a 3-0 quarterfinal victory over Stevens of Claremont Saturday.
Colbi Vaillancourt had two goals for the Cougars, one unassisted eight minutes into the first half and another, assisted by Polly Carter, with two minutes to go in the game. Sandwiched between those was an unassisted tally by Lainee Shaughnessy in the game’s 11th minute.
Goalie Kate Johnson turned away four Stevens shots behind a Derryfield defense led by Theo O’Leary, Cat Green and Mary Quinn.
It was the second tournament shutout for the Cougars, who were 6-0 winners in the first round against Mascoma Valley last week.
Derryfield’s semifinal opponent is fourth-seeded Hopkinton, Wednesday at 7 p.m. at Exeter High School.
Berlin 4, Littleton 0: At Berlin, sophomore Jensyn Dandeneau scored three goals and assisted on another as third-seeded Berlin advanced to the semifinals of the Division III tournament.Myra Arsenault also scored for Berlin.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Indoor track results - 0
- Central-Trinity: It's time - 2
- Trinity, BG skaters open with victories - 0
- Central vs. Trinity: 'competition, not warfare' - 5
- NHIAA preview: Boys' ice hockey races appear to be wide open - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Windham boys prevail in hoop opener - 0
- NHIAA Boys' Basketball Preview: Top dogs still have lots of bite - 1
- NHIAA Roundup: Bow's balance too much for Kearsarge - 0
- Rich won’t return to coach Londonderry football - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Manchester's O'Neill, Lebanon's Morrill form UNH's 'Granite Wall' - 0
- Stretch of I-293 North and South closed after propane tank crashes - 1
- $13m contract recommended for next phase of Nashua parkway - 0
- Couple charged in connection with Exeter burglaries - 0
- Proposed article sets rules for use of temporary signs - 0
- Newsreel: State unemployment stable; Gates Foundation CEO named; generic Viagra out soon - 0
- Leclerc takes second place in men's hockey - 0
- Trinity-Central game pushed to tonight - 0
- Derryfield's Hyde, Faulkner star in ski relays - 0
Shaheen, Ayotte split on House budget plan