Home » Sports » Baseball » Red Sox/MLB
Anatomy of a lost inning for Red Sox
• With one out and one on, Sox starter John Lackey, tremendous for much of the night, lost No. 8 hitter John Jay after getting ahead in the count 0-2, allowing a one-out single that advanced David Freese (walk) to second.
• After a walk loaded the bases, Matt Carpenter lined out to a charging Jonny Gomes in medium left field. Gomes’ throw sailed slightly up the first base line and ticked off Saltalamacchia’s glove as the catcher attempted to apply a sweeping tag.
Let’s start with the real killer: the double steal. Kozma tipped St. Louis’ hand by breaking for third while Breslow stepped off the mound at the start of Carpenter’s at-bat. That led shortstop Stephen Drew to dog Kozma behind the bag, truncating his lead.
Breslow got the next best thing — a liner shallow enough for Gomes to have a play at the plate. Gomes, who has an accurate arm, caught the ball across his body and rotated before unloading.
“I could’ve just let him score and caught the ball,” Saltalamacchia said. “I could’ve gotten around the ball and just catch it and dive (for the tag). There’s a lot of things you can look back on now and try and change.”
“I definitely had a play there,” Breslow said. “Looking up, I felt like it was definitely worth making the throw. But it wasn’t a good throw. It sailed on me.”
“If we eat that ball or if we don’t throw that ball, there’s truly not too many problems,” Gomes said. “Granted, not ideal. Both of our throws were tough, but not out of the ordinary. I’m not OK with errors in general, but it wasn’t like the old ball between the legs.”
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Londonderry's Aliza Simpson chooses UNH for basketball - 0
- H.S. Football: Knight leads South past North - 0
- H.S. Football: Trinity, with all the trimmings, runs past Central - 3
- Unchained following 34 years, Thursday's Turkey Bowl is Paul Boucher's last game - 1
- Roger Brown's First & 10: Motivation aplenty for Central and Trinity in Manchester's annual Turkey Bowl - 3
- Martinez, Rodriguez lift Salem past Lawrence - 0
- Roger Brown's First & 10: On any given Thursday - 0
- Roger Brown's First & 10: Crimson glide - 0
- Roger Brown's First & 10: This year, No. 1 is a no-doubter - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Police say Keene robbery victim was targeted through online dating site - 0
- Keene police investigating attempted robbery at grocery store - 0
- Nashua teacher contract ratified - 0
- College roundup: Local men's teams go 3-0 for the night - 0
- Girls basketball: Derryfield, Bow girls' teams win - 0
- Hollis teen mourned after fatal crash on turnpike - 1
- Progress reported in Pinkerton-Hooksett high school deal - 1
- LGC subsidiary accused of violating its own bylaws - 0
- Turkey Bowl brawl: Central players suspended, no discipline for Trinity team - 5
Exeter drug sweep nets four
Shea-Porter: GOP ad about ACA in NH is false
Where is Benghazi? Kuster's refusal to stand
Bird blenders: 'Green energy' sacrifice