Field Hockey: Top-ranked Derryfield School advances
Lainee Shaughnessy tallied three goals and Berklee Vaillancourt scored twice to lead top-ranked Derryfield School of Manchester to a 6-0 victory against 16th-ranked Mascoma Valley in the preliminary round of the Division III field hockey tournament.
Shaughnessy scored two goals three minutes apart for a 2-0 lead 13 minutes into the game. Polly Carter made it 3-0 in the 27th minute and Shaughnessy accomplished her hat trick in the 34th minute. Vaillancourt scored the last two goals of the game.
Sisters Colbi and Berklee Vaillancourt each had one assist. Zoe PiSierra also notched an assist. Derryfield goalies Kate Johnson and Greer Woolley combined on the shutout win.
Derryfield, making its 11th straight quarterfinal appearance under head coach Lenny McCaigue, will host Stevens of Claremont on Saturday at 2 p.m. Stevens beat Monadnock, 1-0 in Swanzey.Newfound 7, Newport 0: In Bristol, the fifth-ranked Bears (11-4) were led by junior Karissa Bony, who accumulated five goals and one assist. Andrea Shinn (assist) and Megan Libby each scored once.
Amber Plummer amassed three assists and Kayla Messersmith had one assist. Newfound goalie Megan Sharp stopped six shots in the win. Newfound meets the fourth-ranked Hawks in Hopkinton Saturday. Newport ends its season at 7-8. Hopkinton defeated Somersworth 4-0.Gilford 6, White Mountains 0: In Gilford, senior Becky Zakorchemney notched a hat trick and Mollie Dignan added three assists for 13-0-2 Gilford. Rachel Blandford and Kelsey Buckley each had one goal and one assist. Laura Zakorchemney scored one goal and Gilford goalie Ashlyn Miller notched the shutout win. Gilford will host Winnisquam on Saturday at 2 p.m.Winnisquam 3, Laconia 0: In Tilton, junior Erin McNamara scored two goals including the first goal of the game off a corner with no time left in the first half. Madison Langan assisted on the goal. Kayla Langan scored in the 49th minute. Lauren Bolstridge notched the assist. McNamara scored the insurance goal with two minutes remaining in the contest. Bolstridge gained the assist on the play. Kendra Lonergan turned back four shots for the shutout. Winnisquam is now 10-3-2 and will visit Gilford Saturday at 2 p.m.Littleton 2, Sanborn 0: In Littleton, the sixth-ranked Crusaders scored in each half. Chynna Lowe scored 5:27 into the contest. Paige Kezerian had the assist. In the 41st minute Amanda Tran score the insurance. Tianna Sparks tallied the assist. Littleton goalie Morgan Ross turned back one save. Littleton will travel to Berlin for a Saturday quarterfinal game at 2 p.m. Berlin knocked off Conant 5-0.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Mark Hayward's City Matters: Life isn't what it used to be for ER worker injured in attack involving mentally ill man - 1
- Mark Hayward's City Matters: A sewer for the century - 0
- Manchester aims to end junk king's reign - 11
- Mark Hayward's City Matters: Manchester slow to get the lead out - 5
- Mark Hayward's City Matters: These players got game – for foosball - 0
- Mark Hayward's City Matters: Reclaiming Manchester's parks - 3
- Mark Hayward's City Matters: Doing the work, making a difference - 0
- Mark Hayward's City Matters: A simple man wills $176k to 5 city charities - 1
- Mark Hayward's City Matters: No surprise, city columnist likes ManchVegas schools - 16
READER COMMENTS: 33
- Town's Visiting Nurse Service to get new lease on life in 2014 - 0
- Volunteers sought for discipline committees - 0
- In Portsmouth, ACA primer fails to draw much interest - 0
- Heating fuel assistance funding cuts draw ire of Rep. Kuster - 0
- Nashua aldermen vote for new leadership - 0
- Negotiations with city teachers collapse; Gatsas to take over talks - 0
- Wildcats hockey team falls from national rankings - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Another battle looms for Gronk - 0
- Former Kennett quarterback bowl-bound as BC lineman - 0
Wreaths Across America get big send-off
New UNH logo draws mixed reactions
Where’s Waldo? Just ask the NSA
New UNH logo draws mixed reactions
John DiStaso's Granite Status: National Democratic chair to speak at NHIOP in January; Cataldo backs Kenney for Executive Council
- Which of the following prospective candidates do you think the Red Sox should hire to replace Bobby Valentine as the team's manager?
- Sandy Alomar Jr.
- Brad Ausmus
- John Farrell
- DeMarlo Hale
- Torey Lovullo
- Dave Martinez
- Tony Pena
- Ryne Sandberg
- Joe Torre
- Jason Varitek
- Total Votes: 1840