Home » Opinion » Editorials
NH GOP hopes The promise of 2014
The partial government shutdown was a big political loser for the GOP, but New Hampshire Republicans still have reason to be hopeful. Recent polls suggest that they have real opportunities, if only they can make the most of them.
As at the national level, Republicans in New Hampshire have a penchant for producing self-inflicted wounds. Fortunately for them, so do the Democrats. Two of their self-inflicted wounds are currently serving in Congress.
Neither Rep. Carol Shea-Porter nor Rep. Annie Kuster is popular. (Kuster's favorability rating was down to only 23 percent in last week's UNH poll.) Though Republicans have to answer for the shutdown, Democrats have to answer for Obamacare and the economy.
The toxic touch of Obamacare was made clear this week when Sen. Jeanne Shaheen came out in favor of delaying the open enrollment deadline. Shaheen is another New Hampshire Democrat not doing so well these days.
The 2014 elections are looking bad for Democrats. Republicans even have a shot against Gov. Maggie Hassan. As always, they will need quality candidates. This is where they tend to wound themselves. If only they can avoid bad choices. But that is a big if.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Another View -- Tiler Eaton: The Northern Pass project would help, not hurt, NH's economy - 2
- Another View -- Charles Lane: The unintended consequences of our immigration laws are severe - 0
- Rockets are the bitter fruits of Israeli generosity - 0
- John Stossel: Why reporting good news is such a problem - 0
- Jonah Goldberg: In Hollywood, liberal values reign, except at the box office - 1
- Pat Buchanan: Impeaching Obama would be a mistake - 1
- Charles Arlinghaus: Does Concord have a big spending problem? - 1
- Another View - Kevin Smith: Londonderry is showing how to make NH business-friendly - 0
- Thomas Sowell: A primer on race and do-gooders - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Portland takes first of two from NH Fisher Cats Saturday - 0
- Readers' Choice winners say public vote is meaningful - 0
- Amherst mini-golf course is readers' top choice - 0
- Twins Smoke Shop focuses on good cigars, happy clients - 0
- 'Backstage' NASCAR passes are fans' delight in Loudon - 0
- Motorcyclist killed, passenger injured when hit by car in Manchester accident - 0
- Bicyclist injured when hit by car in Hudson - 0
- Police hope for driving dream, but prepared for driving nightmare in Loudon - 0
- Police investigate serious accident in Manchester - 0
New Hampshire events starting on July 13
Alewives and leeches; fireworks in the rain
VA woes across the country led NH to reforms
With the NASCAR fans, Jr.'s The Man
The U.S. is a beacon still
Bicyclist injured when hit by car in Hudson