Home » Opinion » Editorials
NH GOP hopes The promise of 2014
The partial government shutdown was a big political loser for the GOP, but New Hampshire Republicans still have reason to be hopeful. Recent polls suggest that they have real opportunities, if only they can make the most of them.
As at the national level, Republicans in New Hampshire have a penchant for producing self-inflicted wounds. Fortunately for them, so do the Democrats. Two of their self-inflicted wounds are currently serving in Congress.
Neither Rep. Carol Shea-Porter nor Rep. Annie Kuster is popular. (Kuster's favorability rating was down to only 23 percent in last week's UNH poll.) Though Republicans have to answer for the shutdown, Democrats have to answer for Obamacare and the economy.
The toxic touch of Obamacare was made clear this week when Sen. Jeanne Shaheen came out in favor of delaying the open enrollment deadline. Shaheen is another New Hampshire Democrat not doing so well these days.
The 2014 elections are looking bad for Democrats. Republicans even have a shot against Gov. Maggie Hassan. As always, they will need quality candidates. This is where they tend to wound themselves. If only they can avoid bad choices. But that is a big if.
READER COMMENTS: 5
- New headmaster eager to take the reins at Pinkerton - 0
- SNHU, NH Institute of Art merger talk creates anxiety for some - 4
- UNH- Manchester looks to move into Pandora building - 2
- Wilton school project begins - 0
- Nashua explores taking over Brentwood School - 0
- Franklin Pierce lays off four full-time employees - 0
- New Highland-Goffe's Falls principal starts job today - 0
- Board to vote on new graphic design program - 0
- Londonderry names assistant superintendent - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- 132-mph street racers blow by trooper in Nashua, one of two arrested; motorcyclist arrested on I-93 doing 107 mph - 0
- Mazzaglia to be sentenced Aug. 14 for murder of UNH student - 0
- Lost Massachusetts hikers found safe in NH - 0
- GOP criticizes Shaheen flip flop on gas tax - 5
- No one has a clear claim to NHMS supremacy - 0
- Sentence fragment: Coco's cuckoo release - 0
- Charles Arlinghaus: Does Concord have a big spending problem? - 1
- Ban fireworks? Get serious - 5
- Another View - Kevin Smith: Londonderry is showing how to make NH business-friendly - 0
Police say Manchester woman arrested for punching ex-boyfriend during custody exchange in Walmart parking lot
Bikers say under-30 generation isn't interested, and can't afford many of the top motorcycles
Ban fireworks? Get serious
GOP criticizes Shaheen over gas tax