Home » News » Roads and Travel
Merrimack ramp tolls will stay
The House Public Works and Highways Committee voted 15-0 to recommend killing Senate Bill 3, which would have eliminated the exit 12 ramp tolls.
However, state transportation officials and lawmakers say an agreement was originally struck to add the three exits in Merrimack in return for the toll revenue to pay off the bonds to pay for the project.
Committee chair David Campbell, D-Nashua, said the state's 10-year highway improvement plan would be the best way to deal with the issue. Lawmakers will work on the plan next session.
He said the F.E. Everett Turnpike expansion project, as well as the $2 million a year diversion from the Bedford toll plaza revenue after the opening of the Manchester-Boston Regional Airport access road, need to be part of the picture.
Some drivers take the airport access road exit to avoid the Bedford toll by going through the clover leaf ramps, according to Campbell, noting the department said the total diversion could grow to $5 million a year.
Lawmakers will review the new 10-year plan after the Governor's Advisory Commission on Intermodal Transportation makes it recommendations and send them to Gov. Maggie Hassan, who will in turn make her recommendations before sending it to lawmakers.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Fleeing hostile states: Gun makers will travel - 6
- Voting in NH: Not just for NH residents - 20
- Protesting information: Picket sign o' the times - 6
- Seabrook's message: No one above the law here - 3
- 'Economic patriotism'; tax rates and border jumpers - 6
- Do the job, leave; a NH candidate makes sense - 7
- Faith and freedom; a near-martyr comes to NH - 5
- Innis with terrorists? A low blow from Guinta - 2
- Basket case: Saga of a supermarket - 12
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Distracted legislating: Our baseless cellphone ban - 0
- Another View -- Betsy McCaughey: Our free lunch President - 0
- Another View -- Karlyn Borysenko: Workplace bullying is a serious problem, governor - 0
- Red Sox pull Lester from Wednesday start amid trade rumors - 0
- Accused Abby kidnapper Kibby had past minor brushes with police - 0
- Police say youths at New Boston underage drinking party resisted arrest - 0
- Man hospitalized following Rochester shooting; suspect still at large - 0
- Muskrats, Swamp Bats split twinbill - 0
- Jays' Stroman stymies Red Sox - 0
Win tickets to see ZZ Top
Win tickets to see the Pretty Reckless
Abby's alleged kidnapper held on $1M bail
When company comes, opt for variety
Win tickets to see Ziggy Marley
Voting in NH: Not just for NH residents
Gorham man arrested for kidnapping Abigail
Market Basket community waits and watches