Merrimack ramp tolls will stay
The House Public Works and Highways Committee voted 15-0 to recommend killing Senate Bill 3, which would have eliminated the exit 12 ramp tolls.
However, state transportation officials and lawmakers say an agreement was originally struck to add the three exits in Merrimack in return for the toll revenue to pay off the bonds to pay for the project.
Committee chair David Campbell, D-Nashua, said the state's 10-year highway improvement plan would be the best way to deal with the issue. Lawmakers will work on the plan next session.
He said the F.E. Everett Turnpike expansion project, as well as the $2 million a year diversion from the Bedford toll plaza revenue after the opening of the Manchester-Boston Regional Airport access road, need to be part of the picture.
Some drivers take the airport access road exit to avoid the Bedford toll by going through the clover leaf ramps, according to Campbell, noting the department said the total diversion could grow to $5 million a year.
Lawmakers will review the new 10-year plan after the Governor's Advisory Commission on Intermodal Transportation makes it recommendations and send them to Gov. Maggie Hassan, who will in turn make her recommendations before sending it to lawmakers.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Another View -- Marco Rubio: Brown will stop the Obama agenda, put us on a better course - 3
- Another View - Sean O'Kane: Jeanne Shaheen is a friend of NH's tourism industry - 4
- Charles Arlinghaus: How the cult of celebrity destroys our political culture - 1
- Pat Buchanan: How do terror networks win their Western recruits? - 0
- Another View -- Marilinda Garcia: Rep. Ann Kuster has not been a help to NH senior citizens - 8
- Jonah Goldberg: Why narratives are more powerful than ideas - 0
- Pat Buchanan: People sense the country is falling apart - 2
- Celeste Clark : I saw Keene State College and the police try to prevent a riot - 2
- Deroy Murdock: Colorado shows the perils of mailing-in the election - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Kuster's abortion lies: Claims against Garcia are untrue - 0
- Brown, Shaheen run hardest where support is deepest - 0
- Drew Cline: GOP missed opportunities could mean trouble on Tuesday - 0
- MVP Bumgarner rides to the rescue for Giants' third World Series win in five years - 0
- College Football: Big Green ready for tussle with Harvard - 0
- Report: Cubs will hire Joe Maddon as manager - 0
- Pastoral Counseling Services honors Good Samaritans - 0
- Peterborough church plan advances after land buy - 0
- Stocks down a little after Fed move - 0
The Obamaconomy: Shea-Porter shows its flaw