Nov 14, 2013
Nov 6, 2013
Oct 30, 2013
Oct 23, 2013
No answers given for broken neck after Elliot Hospital incident
"What we want is the truth. That's all I want is the truth. I don't want somebody pulling my friggin' leg all the time," Ornelas added.
At the time, no one told her or other family members Ornelas allegedly attacked a security officer about 7:25 p.m. Oct. 16 and the two exchanged punches in the secure psychiatric unit until the guard subdued Ornelas.
In statements issued this week, Elliot said how Ornelas sustained the injuries "is unknown to us."
Fern Ornelas remains on a breathing tube at Massachusetts General Hospital where doctors there also have tried to learn when his neck broke because the length of time that elapsed from the time he was injured to when he arrived at the Boston hospital is crucial to determine the extent of damage and a prognosis, John Ornelas said.
The incident has incited an outcry in the community where Fern Ornelas is a friendly, familiar figure to many on the East Side. The 1977 Memorial High School graduate's standout pitching won him a college scholarship. He also golfs regularly at Derryfield Country Club where he is a member. He worked part time as seafood manager at Shaw's Supermarket on South Willow Street until he was laid off when the store closed this summer, friends said.
Fern Ornelas is being held without bail and remains under corrections department custody.
Elliot Hospital said it has an "excellent relationship" with Boston hospitals and defended security officer Lawrence Bolduc for using proper training tactics to subdue Ornelas and "protect the lives" of other patients and staff in the emergency department.
"There might have been one or two incidents where they had to sedate him or put him in restraints. They've dealt with it and nobody got hurt. What's the difference now?" he asked.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Police: Salem man used car keys to stab officer in hand - 1
- Manchester muffler shop burglarized - 0
- Armed man arrested after Manchester convenience store robbery - 0
- Store cashier in Littleton refuses to give up the cash to robber - 0
- Convicted drug dealer arrested in Nashua on more drug charges - 1
- Former Plaistow finance director charged with theft - 1
- Police: Laconia man threatened harm to toddler - 0
- Manchester man tells judge pills aren’t his - 0
- Hannaford parking lot encounter involved a shotgun - 51
READER COMMENTS: 0
- John DiStaso's Granite Status: Bob Smith ready to hire campaign manager for his 2014 US Senate run - 7
- UPDATE: Portsmouth woman, 60, identified after her body is found in creek - 1
- N.Y. man charged with reckless conduct after accidental shooting in Nashua - 1
- Cases against Keene 'Robin Hooders' dismissed by judge - 7
- Boy, 12, struck in Newton remains hospitalized - 0
- State revenue under projections for November - 1
- UPDATE: Dover toll plaza appears undamaged after Tuesday crash - 2
- Hooksett officer struck by motorist - 3
- UPDATE: Thornton woman dies after being struck by car in Campton - 0
What Congress? Obama's 'easy way out'
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Bob Smith ready to hire campaign manager for his 2014 US Senate run
Push to block casino in NH ramping up
- Should applicants for jobless benefits have to pass a drug test?
- Total Votes: 1424