Oct 30, 2014
Oct 2, 2014
Sep 25, 2014
Sep 18, 2014
No answers given for broken neck after Elliot Hospital incident
"What we want is the truth. That's all I want is the truth. I don't want somebody pulling my friggin' leg all the time," Ornelas added.
At the time, no one told her or other family members Ornelas allegedly attacked a security officer about 7:25 p.m. Oct. 16 and the two exchanged punches in the secure psychiatric unit until the guard subdued Ornelas.
In statements issued this week, Elliot said how Ornelas sustained the injuries "is unknown to us."
Fern Ornelas remains on a breathing tube at Massachusetts General Hospital where doctors there also have tried to learn when his neck broke because the length of time that elapsed from the time he was injured to when he arrived at the Boston hospital is crucial to determine the extent of damage and a prognosis, John Ornelas said.
The incident has incited an outcry in the community where Fern Ornelas is a friendly, familiar figure to many on the East Side. The 1977 Memorial High School graduate's standout pitching won him a college scholarship. He also golfs regularly at Derryfield Country Club where he is a member. He worked part time as seafood manager at Shaw's Supermarket on South Willow Street until he was laid off when the store closed this summer, friends said.
Fern Ornelas is being held without bail and remains under corrections department custody.
Elliot Hospital said it has an "excellent relationship" with Boston hospitals and defended security officer Lawrence Bolduc for using proper training tactics to subdue Ornelas and "protect the lives" of other patients and staff in the emergency department.
"There might have been one or two incidents where they had to sedate him or put him in restraints. They've dealt with it and nobody got hurt. What's the difference now?" he asked.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Bedford police investigating burglary at Verizon Wireless store - 0
- Police: Manchester man charged with endangering child after going 101 mph - 0
- Man faces robbery, assault charges after extradition from NY - 0
- Driver overdosing on heroin causes crash - 0
- Hill sex offender arrested for 2012 arson of own home in Northfield - 0
- Deliberations begin in trial of former Derry man accused of sex assault - 0
- Mazzaglia pleads guilty to devising escape plan - 0
- Manchester pair arrested for fighting in Merrimack parking lot - 0
- Nashua man who was shot by officer sentenced to 5-10 years - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- John Habib's City Sports: St. Thomas coach: I owe Central - 0
- Armed burglar from Derry sentenced to prison - 0
- FairPoint customer concerned about blocked emails - 0
- Plaistow narrows field in search for its new police chief - 0
- Hershey Bears shut out Monarchs - 0
- NHIAA Football: Bedford used pick-six to beat Central - 0
- NHIAA Football: Bishop Guertin completes miracle, makes playoffs with win over Nashua South - 0
- NHIAA Football Roundup: Souhegan closes out season with a win - 0
- NHIAA Football: Londonderry edges Salem in wild finish - 0
Hockey brought them together; Hooksett ice rink will serve as NH couple's 'church' for wedding
NH Audubon's Rare Bird Alert
Dartmouth women skaters beat Union
Armed burglar from Derry sentenced to prison
- Whom do you think bears the brunt of the blame for the mayhem this weekend in Keene?
- KSC students
- KSC administration
- Visitors from out of town
- A combination of any/all of the above
- Total Votes: 2483