Manchester would need waiver to replace Common Core educational standard
When asked if a district could secure a waiver so that it would not lose funding, Education Department Chief of Staff Heather Gage said that would require further review.
Gage said funding isn’t at risk if districts don’t adopt all of the Common Core standards.
Starting this school year, teachers were using some Common Core standards in a pilot program for grades kindergarten through eight.
The school board’s move won positive reviews from Ann Marie Banfield, an education liaison with Cornerstone Action, the lobbying arm of a conservative advocacy organization.
“If Manchester says no to Common Core, why should they be forced to use a Common Core test?” Banfield said. “If they risk losing money, we have a serious problem in the state if they don’t have control over their schools.”
“As far as the assessment side of things, we do need to take time to study this in depth and be knowledgeable,” Livingston said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you - 55
- Portman's good point: A leadership deficit all around - 3
- Wheeler in Dist. 5: A GOP fighter for the little guy - 3
- GOP for legal pot? Hemignway's high help - 12
- Obama's indecision: In NH, only Ayotte urges action - 50
- Concealed controversy: Our 'Mother, may I' gun policy - 45
- Innis in the 1st: A strong choice for Congress - 11
- Obama waits: A terror threat grows - 41
- For U.S. Senate, Scott Brown best NH candidate come November - 73
READER COMMENTS: 0
- On Baseball: Fisher Cats manager Meacham learned a few things, too - 0
- First and 10: Old No. 1 begins as new No. 1 - 0
- NHIAA Girls' Soccer Preview: All eyes on Bedford, Exeter - 0
- Another View -- Dan McGuire: We Free Staters are not some threat to be feared - 0
- Taxpayer rights: Left, right should restore them - 0
- No paper Monday - 0
- Patriots' Garoppolo solid, but Giants eke out 16-13 win in preseason finale - 0
- Education business tax credit program upheld - 0
- Russian troops capture key Ukrainian town - 0
Enter to win tickets to see Paula Poundstone
Win tickets to see Steven Wright
Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you
Tuition tax credits make a return