Granite State Arts Academy in Derry to host its third open house
The open house is set to begin at 10 a.m. at the school’s proposed site, 16 Route 111, Building 4. It will include a question-and-answer session and tours of the site, Chairwoman Wendie Leweck said.
Based on the surge in interest, the school for grades nine through 12 should easily reach its total enrollment of 160 students, or 40 students per grade, Leweck said.
Every day, Leweck said she is receiving a dozen or so emails and phone calls from parents interested in learning more about the academy. She added that she does her best to respond to the many inquiries.
Along with a core curriculum, the school will offer four major areas of the arts: dance, music (including voice), theater and visual arts.
Of the approximate $12,000 annual cost of educating a student, the school receives about $5,500 per pupil from the state. The remaining balance of federal money, however, doesn’t “follow” the student to the charter school but goes to the public school within the district that the student would have attended, she said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Another View -- Tiler Eaton: The Northern Pass project would help, not hurt, NH's economy - 2
- Another View -- Charles Lane: The unintended consequences of our immigration laws are severe - 0
- Rockets are the bitter fruits of Israeli generosity - 0
- John Stossel: Why reporting good news is such a problem - 0
- Jonah Goldberg: In Hollywood, liberal values reign, except at the box office - 1
- Pat Buchanan: Impeaching Obama would be a mistake - 1
- Charles Arlinghaus: Does Concord have a big spending problem? - 1
- Another View - Kevin Smith: Londonderry is showing how to make NH business-friendly - 0
- Thomas Sowell: A primer on race and do-gooders - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Portland takes first of two from NH Fisher Cats Saturday - 0
- Readers' Choice winners say public vote is meaningful - 0
- Amherst mini-golf course is readers' top choice - 0
- Twins Smoke Shop focuses on good cigars, happy clients - 0
- 'Backstage' NASCAR passes are fans' delight in Loudon - 0
- Motorcyclist killed, passenger injured when hit by car in Manchester accident - 0
- Bicyclist injured when hit by car in Hudson - 0
- Police hope for driving dream, but prepared for driving nightmare in Loudon - 0
- Police investigate serious accident in Manchester - 0
Houston hands Red Sox a loss Saturday
New Hampshire events starting on July 13