Jul 10, 2014
Jun 26, 2014
Jun 20, 2014
Jun 11, 2014
Woman scams elderly high-rise residents in Manchester
MANCHESTER — Two women residing in one of the city's elderly high-rise buildings were victimized by a scam artist who gained access to their apartments and stole from them, police said.
About 6 p.m. Monday, a woman knocked on the door to an apartment of a 77-year-old resident in the Rev. Raymond Burns high-rise on South Main Street and asked to use her phone.
She told the older woman she was trying to reach her grandmother, who lived in the building, but she was not answering her door. She said she walked from Bedford to visit with her but could not reach her in her apartment.
After using the woman's phone to make a call, she asked for a Band-Aid for a blister on her foot, before she eventually left.
Once she was gone, the elderly woman discovered some cash and a check missing from her purse.
A 75-year-old woman in a neighboring apartment told police the same thing happened to her about the same time.
A woman knocked on her door, asked to use the phone and gave a similar story. She told police the woman made a call and then asked for a cigarette before leaving.
Once she was gone, the resident realized a small wristlet purse containing an ID and a bank card were missing from her apartment.
Police said several other residents in the building reported a similar visitor, but no one else had any property taken.
The thief is described as a young, short, thin, dark-skinned woman, possibly Hispanic, with curly dark hair.
Anyone with information about the thefts is asked to call police at 668-8711. Anonymous tips for cash rewards may be made through Manchester Crimeline at 624-4040 or online at manchestercrimeline.org.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NH Supreme Court: Indigent woman entitled to state-funded services - 0
- Following drug bust, questions raised about Manchester pizza restaurant - 1
- Somersworth man charged in three incidents - 0
- Fathers of injured teens pleased with order sending back Coco to jail - 0
- Exeter man arraigned in pair of Portsmouth armed robberies - 0
- Pa. man will go to trial for two-state chase - 0
- Arrest made in fake Nashua bomb threat - 0
- Two of Gregory Smart's killers nearing release - 15
- Speeding stop leads to drug and alcohol charges for Nashua men - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Portland takes first of two from NH Fisher Cats Saturday - 0
- Readers' Choice winners say public vote is meaningful - 0
- Amherst mini-golf course is readers' top choice - 0
- Twins Smoke Shop focuses on good cigars, happy clients - 0
- 'Backstage' NASCAR passes are fans' delight in Loudon - 0
- Motorcyclist killed, passenger injured when hit by car in Manchester accident - 0
- Bicyclist injured when hit by car in Hudson - 0
- Police hope for driving dream, but prepared for driving nightmare in Loudon - 0
- Police investigate serious accident in Manchester - 0
New Hampshire events starting on July 13
Houston hands Red Sox a loss Saturday
VA woes across the country led NH to reforms
With the NASCAR fans, Jr.'s The Man
The U.S. is a beacon still
Bicyclist injured when hit by car in Hudson
- Total Votes: 917