Manchester used car dealer sold cars with defective emission systems
The used car dealership, located at 782 Gold St., used "ghost" or "phantom" vehicles that had passed on-board diagnostic inspections to falsely represent that cars sold to customers passed the emissions test required the by the state Division of Motor Vehicles.
According to a news release issued by New Hampshire Attorney General Joseph A. Foster, Empire used the deceptive practice on 144 cars sold to unsuspecting customers. Empire has since contacted all of the consumers and corrected any deficiencies at its sole cost and expense.
Empire issued the guilty pleas in Hillsborough County Superior Court, Northern District, and was fined $40,000, with $20,000 suspended, and ordered to reimburse the state for $25,000 in legal costs.
The company also must not commit any further violations of motor vehicle inspection laws or the Consumer Protection Act, and respond to all complaints filed with the Attorney General or the Better Business Bureau within two weeks of receipt of a complaint.
READER COMMENTS: 7
- Mile marker: Londonderry trail’s first step - 0
- Definitely broken: City's winter parking ban - 2
- What Congress? Obama's 'easy way out' - 26
- Closing classrooms: Relief for Webster, Beech Street schools in Manchester.? - 2
- Unwanted professors: How does one get fired at UNH? - 15
- Bumped for Benghazi: A reporter is held accountable - 3
- Dangerous Iran deal: Weakening sanctions is senseless - 2
- Freedom? Thanks for nothing, Obama - 83
- Christmas spirit: For whom do you shop? - 5
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Conn. man charged in hit and run - 0
- Hudson man faces DWI charge following crash - 0
- FBI 'concerned' for Hernandez - 0
- Officials will share new information about missing Conway teen - 1
- South Africa's Nelson Mandela dies at 95 - 1
- Fire scene closes Goffstown's Paige Hill Road - 0
- Gas tax increase would be tied to consumer price index - 8
- Dingman granted conditional parole - 6
- Suicide bomber, gunmen kill 52 in Yemen - 0
Dingman granted conditional parole
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Scott Brown to be in Londonderry tonight, says 'nothing is really changed' on political plans