Manchester used car dealer sold cars with defective emission systems
The used car dealership, located at 782 Gold St., used "ghost" or "phantom" vehicles that had passed on-board diagnostic inspections to falsely represent that cars sold to customers passed the emissions test required the by the state Division of Motor Vehicles.
According to a news release issued by New Hampshire Attorney General Joseph A. Foster, Empire used the deceptive practice on 144 cars sold to unsuspecting customers. Empire has since contacted all of the consumers and corrected any deficiencies at its sole cost and expense.
Empire issued the guilty pleas in Hillsborough County Superior Court, Northern District, and was fined $40,000, with $20,000 suspended, and ordered to reimburse the state for $25,000 in legal costs.
The company also must not commit any further violations of motor vehicle inspection laws or the Consumer Protection Act, and respond to all complaints filed with the Attorney General or the Better Business Bureau within two weeks of receipt of a complaint.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- U.S. says Islamic State video of journalist's killing is authentic - 0
- No paper on Monday; check UnionLeader.com for updated, breaking news - 0
- Concord attorney Leahy dies - 0
- Robin Williams’ ashes are scattered in San Francisco Bay - 0
- Syracuse, Iowa crowned top party schools - 0
- Parking fines cause disputes, raise revenues - 1
- Jon Cavaiani dies at 70; desperate stand in '71 led to Medal of Honor - 0
- Meriam Ibrahim, family welcomed as long journey ends in Manchester - 2
- Moose International files suit to claim Claremont lodge - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- UPS driver charged in hit-and-run at Merrimack business - 0
- Seabrook mom pleads not guilty by reason of insanity to attempted murder of her two children - 1
- Gunman hits Circle K convenience store in Durham - 0
- Bella, a chihuahua mix, is still missing in Auburn - 0
- Nashua man charged in domestic knife threat - 0
- Manchester man detained on Nashua rape charges involving child - 0
- Pair accused in Hampstead home invasion also face witness tampering charges - 0
- Suicide car bomber kills 3 foreign troops in Afghan capital; Taliban claims responsibility - 0
- City officials to review proposed 'spice' ban - 0
DWI license revocations
Mexican man pleads guilty in international conspiracy to traffic hundreds of pounds of cocaine
Attorney claims illegal phone seizure following Christmas Eve accident that killed Brookline mom
Win tickets to see Kip Moore
Another View -- Sharon Day: The Democrats' claim to be the party for women is just not believable
Seabrook mom pleads not guilty by reason of insanity to attempted murder of her two children
Alleged accomplice in brutal Bedford home invasion, attack on doctor and wife, says his testimony was coerced
Man accused of raping 13-year old in Nashua