Manchester used car dealer sold cars with defective emission systems
The used car dealership, located at 782 Gold St., used "ghost" or "phantom" vehicles that had passed on-board diagnostic inspections to falsely represent that cars sold to customers passed the emissions test required the by the state Division of Motor Vehicles.
According to a news release issued by New Hampshire Attorney General Joseph A. Foster, Empire used the deceptive practice on 144 cars sold to unsuspecting customers. Empire has since contacted all of the consumers and corrected any deficiencies at its sole cost and expense.
Empire issued the guilty pleas in Hillsborough County Superior Court, Northern District, and was fined $40,000, with $20,000 suspended, and ordered to reimburse the state for $25,000 in legal costs.
The company also must not commit any further violations of motor vehicle inspection laws or the Consumer Protection Act, and respond to all complaints filed with the Attorney General or the Better Business Bureau within two weeks of receipt of a complaint.
READER COMMENTS: 6
- U.S. insurers warn of problems with Obamacare enrollment surge - 21
- New Hampshire clients transitioning to Medicaid Managed Care - 3
- Businesses share Obamacare frustrations, fears - 21
- Problems remain for retooled website - 0
- New Hampshire's move to Medicaid managed care kicks in on Sunday - 2
- Anthem further extends policy renewal times - 8
- NH OKs renewing 2013 health plans in 2014 - 3
- ACA 2015 enrollment delayed to after 2014 midterms - 17
- Small businesses weigh health care options during Rochester forum - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Snow could reschedule Super Bowl - 2
- Red Sox deal Morales for backup infielder - 0
- It's a season of switching teams for NASCAR drivers - 0
- Central girls down Trinity in OT - 0
- Pistons edge Celtics - 0
- Business is good for football elite - 0
- Negotiator: Israeli-Palestinian talks might take year to complete - 0
- Harvard student charged in bomb hoax released on bail - 3
- Jackknifed propane tanker closes I-293 to traffic for hours in aftermath - 0
Snow could reschedule Super Bowl
1 dead following Route 101 crash in Milford
City man charged with endangering child