Home » Sports » Football » Patriots/NFL
Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Win in New York was just out of reach
Replays aired during the live television broadcast were inconclusive, so Patriots fans were left to find alternative video sources to see why the call was made — or perhaps why it was wrong. But if they’re going to that footage to look at why their Pats lost a division game, and a chance to move to 6-1, they shouldn’t waste their time on that play.
Look at the Jets’ efficiency on third down by comparison. Led by rookie quarterback Geno Smith, New York was 11-for-21 overall, moving the chains when in situations that required them to gain 10, 14 and 21 yards, and scoring a touchdown on third and seven.
Look at the New England offensive line allowing four sacks, which brings their total to 13 in the past three games, and puts Brady on a pace to be dropped 46 times this season. Not since 2001 has he been sacked more than 32 times in a whole year.
Look at Brady, too, though. Hurt again by a few drops, he hit on just 22 of 46 throws, and thus completed less than half his passes for the third time in seven games this season. He also failed to throw a touchdown pass for the second time in three weeks after tossing at least one in every game for more than three seasons.
“There are no excuses,” Brady said. “We didn’t play well.”
Dave D’Onofrio covers the Patriots for the New Hampshire Union Leader and Sunday News. His e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Outrage du jour Garcia, Sullivan and victimhood - 30
- Cyber Monday alarm: The sales tax monster rises - 7
- Mile marker: Londonderry trail’s first step - 0
- Definitely broken: City's winter parking ban - 2
- What Congress? Obama's 'easy way out' - 26
- Closing classrooms: Relief for Webster, Beech Street schools in Manchester.? - 2
- Unwanted professors: How does one get fired at UNH? - 15
- Bumped for Benghazi: A reporter is held accountable - 3
- Dangerous Iran deal: Weakening sanctions is senseless - 2
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Two charged with selling heroin in Nashua - 0
- 'Fugitive of the week' arrested in Hooksett - 0
- Dover police arrest 3 on drug charges - 0
- Sports Briefs: No miracle finish for Vonn - 0
- Browns QB Campbell cleared to face Pats - 0
- Boychuk’s status unknown - 0
- SNHU seeks NCAA title - 0
- Wildcat gridders visit Maine in defining game for program - 0
- Manchester needs more police department argues in staffing report - 0
Science, art combine for cancer fundraiser
Copper stolen from old Salem school
Fourth-graders ‘experience’ Ellis Island
Reams threatens to sue county commissioners
Two in Keene robbed at home
Dover police arrest 3 on drug charges
McWages: They're about value
Pot debate precedes legislative hearings
Dingman: 'I try to be a better person'
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Scott Brown says 'nothing is really changed' on political plans
Judge rules to keep officers on Laurie list