Home » News » Public Safety
UPDATED: Vigil planned for Abigail Saturday in North Conway
"Oh, she so pretty, that's so sad," she said as she examined the flier, one of hundreds posted at almost every business in town, with a picture of 15-year-old Abigail Hernandez, and some wording asking for help in finding the teenager who has been missing since Oct. 9.
Her gaze, though, kept returning to the flier.
"Business has been great, we had a better foliage season than usual and we had more people here. The fliers have been drawing curiosity, which is what we want, of course, but there hasn't been any bad effects on our business from them. If anything, customers just ask a few more questions."
An exhaustive search for her is being conducted by a state and federal law enforcement missing persons team. They've been out among businesses asking questions and looking for clues. A roadblock was set up on a main town road last Thursday by FBI teams, asking residents if they had seen Hernandez or any sign of her that day.
The FBI's Kieran Ramsey was pleased to hear the fliers were being seen. The police presence, which has been as much as 100 officers in town in recent days, should not interfere with the tourist business in town, as officers have "a small footprint" in town.
Businesses may be actually doing better since the fliers went up, as visitors are seeing "a community response to this situation of all of us pulling together, and some of that is being seen and felt by our customers," said Janice Crawford, executive director of the Mount Washington Valley Chamber of Commerce.
READER COMMENTS: 12
- Reams threatens to sue county commissioners - 9
- Mont Vernon picks Milford officer as next police chief - 1
- Conway is heartened by word of her letter - 0
- Missing Conway teenager remains in 'grave' danger - 8
- Officials will share new information about missing Conway teen - 1
- Fire scene closes Goffstown's Paige Hill Road - 0
- Newton boy badly hurt when struck by SUV while walking - 0
- Body found floating in Sagamore Creek identified - 0
- Police probe Dover official's fatal car crash - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- UNH unveils new 'shield' logo - 0
- UPDATE: 2 dead in I-89 crash in Lebanon, highway northbound restricted to one lane as of 8:20 p.m. - 0
- Fugitive convicted of stabbing Manchester man in heart in ’96 - 0
- Two charged with selling heroin in Nashua - 0
- 'Fugitive of the week' arrested in Hooksett - 0
- Dover police arrest 3 on drug charges - 7
- Sports Briefs: No miracle finish for Vonn - 0
- Browns QB Campbell cleared to face Pats - 0
- Bruins defenseman Boychuk's status unknown - 1
UPDATE: 2 dead in I-89 crash in Lebanon, highway northbound restricted to one lane as of 8:20 p.m.
UNH unveils new 'shield' logo
Casino for NH wins critical endorsement
NH health officials discover listeria contamination in ready-made chicken salad, recall ordered
'Fugitive of the week' arrested in Hooksett
Reams threatens to sue county commissioners
UNH unveils new 'shield' logo
Dover police arrest 3 on drug charges
- Would you support spending local tax dollars to buy your police department a $250K armored vehicle?
- Total Votes: 1072