Home » News » Public Safety
Overdue attorney general's report of mentally handicapped NH deaths coming soon
The last report was issued in 2009, said Sandi Matheson, the outgoing director of victim-witness advocacy for the New Hampshire Attorney General.
Two years ago, the Review Committee received some attention when a lawmaker said it could be used to follow up on a spate of police shootings of people who were mentally ill. Police in New Hampshire shot and killed five people in 2011, all which the Attorney General's Office deemed as justified. A majority suffered from mental illness.
"There needs to be a trail," he said, "for purposes of accountability there has to be a report out there publicly. It's certainly beneficial to make things public."
"I took it over (the chairman's job) just to facilitate it," Matheson said. Don Rabun, an ombudsman in the state Office of the Long Term Care, was eventually named chairman.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Police hope for driving dream, but prepared for driving nightmare in Loudon - 0
- Police investigate serious accident in Manchester - 0
- Wakefield woman dies in crash; Rye woman crashes into utility pole - 0
- Wakefield woman killed in Milton crash - 0
- Portsmouth police locate, arrest driver after accident - 0
- Two vehicle crash in Milton ends with one driver sustaining fatal injuries - 0
- Assisted living facility proposed for Londonderry - 0
- Plaistow police chief passes away after battle with cancer - 0
- Fire damages building at Jaffrey transfer station - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Portland takes first of two from NH Fisher Cats Saturday - 0
- Readers' Choice winners say public vote is meaningful - 0
- Amherst mini-golf course is readers' top choice - 0
- Twins Smoke Shop focuses on good cigars, happy clients - 0
- 'Backstage' NASCAR passes are fans' delight in Loudon - 0
- Motorcyclist killed, passenger injured when hit by car in Manchester accident - 0
- Bonners host charity music festival in Portsmouth - 0
- He knows the Memorial Wall, name by name - 0
- NH to host New England governors, Eastern Canadian premiers in Mount Washington - 0
New Hampshire events starting on July 13
Houston hands Red Sox a loss Saturday
With the NASCAR fans, Jr.'s The Man
VA woes across the country led NH to reforms