Community Caregivers celebrates 25 years of service in Londonderry
Volunteers, clients and staff enjoyed an evening of celebration and memories Saturday during Community Caregivers of Greater Derry’s 25th anniversary party at the NH Aviation Museum.
Community Caregivers of Greater Derry, located in the Derry Masonic Temple, has proven a godsend for area seniors struggling to maintain their independence.
Volunteers assist their homebound clients with rides to medical appointments, household chores and anything else they might happen to need.
“It’s hard to believe it all began in one room in a Londonderry office park,” Executive Director Cindee Tanuma said, noting that at one time the organization’s headquarters consisted of one small room with two part-time staff members.
“We treat all of them like an extension of our family,” Tanuma said. “That’s what we’re all about.”
A former air traffic controller, Pierce said he jumped at the opportunity to lend a hand.
“I just wanted to give back,” he said.
“It’s a good feeling to help someone else,” he said. “We’re all going to get there one day, and there could come a day when I’ll be the one needing help.”
During a visit to Derry Fest, Foley stopped by the Caregivers booth where she chatted with volunteers and staff members. She was immediately intrigued.
“It’s a nice feeling to be able to help empower someone,” Foley added.
Vincent Smith, chairman of the Community Caregivers board of directors, said there’s a constant need for additional volunteers as the organization continues to grow.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Charles Arlinghaus: Does Concord have a big spending problem? - 1
- Another View - Kevin Smith: Londonderry is showing how to make NH business-friendly - 0
- Thomas Sowell: A primer on race and do-gooders - 0
- Ramesh Ponnuru: There is no basis for liberal Hobby Lobby outrage - 0
- Kathy Sullivan: NH energy projects should produce wins for everyone - 15
- Another View - Kevin Baine: No, the Hobby Lobby ruling won't deny anyone contraception - 6
- Jonah Goldberg: Liberals dislike America - 2
- Another View -- David Ignatius: Iran overplays its hand - 0
- John Stossel: There's capitalism, and then there's crony capitalism - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Mark Hayward's City Matters: Manchester's bike culture shifts into high gear - 0
- Ignoring Lyme: What are state, towns doing? - 1
- Dave D'Onofrio's Sox Beat: Red Sox makeover underway - 0
- Tom Herzig's Trackside: MacDonald has NHMS track experience - 0
- Drew Cline: Scott Brown plans to win over NH one handshake at a time - 5
- Anthony M. Kay - 0
- Walsh paces Sweeney Post past Laconia - 0
- Late rally lifts Red Sox past White Sox - 0
- On Baseball: Matinee win keeps Fisher Cats on a roll - 0
Police say Manchester woman arrested for punching ex-boyfriend during custody exchange in Walmart parking lot
132-mph street racers blow by trooper in Nashua, one of two arrested; motorcyclist arrested on I-93 doing 107 mph
Bikers say under-30 generation isn't interested, and can't afford many of the top motorcycles
Anthony M. Kay
Ban fireworks? Get serious
GOP criticizes Shaheen over gas tax
Sentence fragment: Coco's cuckoo release
Ayotte calls again for FCC reform